The Forgotten Warrior Part 2
by The Masked Germanian




Chapter six: Peter pan, eat your heart out!

"Di, what were you thinking!? You said that you knew where Figaro was!"

"Hey, Don't yell at me! It was here the last time I saw it! And besides, Aural, I thought that you had been everywhere with Leo!"

"Don't change the subject! The fact is, YOU LOST AN ENTIRE CASTLE!"

I was getting really tired of this. I know that Figaro was here, I visited it only five years ago! I don't see how it could disappear so completely in that time.

"Look," Wark interrupted, "why doesn't one of you retarded sacks of meat get on my back, and we can fly around and look for it."

It was a good idea, if phrased a little harshly. I got on his back, and we took off. That was one of the weird things about Wark: he could only carry one person. Normally, through a disruption in what someone once called "the space-time continuum", an entire party could fit on a chocobo. I guess that Wark's inherit magic disrupts the other magic. Oh, well.

We were in the air, and it was the greatest thing I had ever experienced. It was like, the entire world was for me to explore. I looked to the north... and I could see Narshe! It had a... a sort of mechanical beauty from above.

"It's beautiful, is it not?" I almost jumped, but I would have died immediately. I forgot that I was riding a sentient talking chocobo!

"Uh, yeah, I see why you like flying so much."

"Indeed, everything has a certain beauty when you see it from above."

Strange... He's not talking in his customary "You are an idiot" tone of voice. I decided that now was a good time to ask him a question that's been bothering me since Cutshade.

"Hey, Wark? If you can fly, then why didn't you do so when you were attacked in the forest?"

Wark sighs. Not a good sign. "I didn't try to fly because I didn't see the point."

"But you would have died!"

"Exactly."

Oh. "But, why would you want to die?"

"Di, you don't understand. The "Empire", as you call it, took my parents. Most of the others of my kind are in their clutches. I may be the only esper left alive in this world. I don't know if I'll ever find my parents. You wouldn't understand."

"I understand too well. Have you forgotten my story already? The Empire poisoned my kingdom. Everyone I held dear dead, save for Sir Cyan. I don't hold much faith in my chances of finding him, but as long as I draw breath, and there is a chance of finding him, I will never give up."

Wark just stood-er, flew- for a minute, absorbing what I said. "Di..."

"Yes?"

"That's the biggest load of crap I've ever heard!"

I sighed. He was back to his old self.

"But thanks anyway. So, let me ask you a question. How would you like to fly without needing me?"

"You can do that?" I asked hopefully. To be able to fly by myself!

"Yeah, there is only one thing we need to do."

"What?"

"We need to share our blood."

"Wha-what did you say?" I hoped that I misheard.

"We need to share our blood so that we can both can fly. The only other way that you could do that is by learning my magic through my magicite."

"Your what?"

"My Magicite. It's uh, it's what you'd call my essence. Once I die, my body is replaced by a small crystal that holds my essence in it. It is possible for others to learn my magic through it."

"If those are my choices, then I think that I'll pass. I'd like to keep us both intact, if it's alright with you."

"Okay. Personally, I don't know if either of us would survive the transfusion. There are just so many things that... Di? What's that?"

He gestured with his beak to a little shack set about four miles north.

"I don't know. Let's take a look, whoever lives there might know what happened to Figaro."

He nodded, and we were soon outside the shack. I knocked on the door, ready to run if need be. The door opened, and out stepped an elderly man. He seemed to be fairly old, but he moved like a man my age.

"Ah! A guest! Come in, come in!" I exchanged a glance with Wark, shrugged, and walked in.

The place wasn't that special. Four walls, a bed. The only thing strange about it was a fairly large box in the corner. It was... humming?

The old man started setting a table for two. After he did that, he went to the box and opened. Inside was a huge supply of food, enough to last a man a long time. He started pulling out meat, bread, various fruits, and- this was the big surprise- cheese. I touched some of these items, and they were very cold! Strange magic, indeed!

"A refrigerator," the old man explained as I looked at him questioningly. "It has a generator that powers it, making the inside cold to preserve food longer. It's Figaro's latest creation."

At that point I remembered the reason for my coming in the first place. "Um, excuse me. This may be a stupid question, but... where is Figaro, exactly?"

The old man chuckled.

"Don't worry, it isn't stupid at all. You see, Figaro is on the other side of the mountains right now. King Edgar needed to head west, so we moved the entire castle for him. It's amazing how much his people love him."

"Wait. They moved the entire castle? How?"

"Don't you know? Figaro is built so that it can submerge under the desert. It can rise in any desert in the world. Now, why are you here?"

I sighed. "My name is Diatyne, retainer of Doma. The Empire poisoned everyone, save for me and one other. maybe you know where he is? Answers to Cyan, speaks like a reject from the middle ages?"

The man suddenly brightened. "Cyan? He was part of the King's party!"

My heart suddenly filled with hope for the first time in weeks. Sir Cyan was still alive! "Where did they go?"

"Well, we dropped them off at Kohlingen, and that's all I know. If you want, this shack is also able to travel there."

"YES! *ahem* I mean, I'd appreciate it sir, but first I must notify my companions. They are waiting for me about five miles south of here. I'll get my chocobo to notify them."

He stared at me quizzically. "You not only left a chocobo untied out there, when it will almost surely run away, You are also going to send it to your companions to notify them of your location? Either you are a fool, or that is one smart chocobo!"

I chuckled for a moment before I answered. "You have no idea. Why don't I tell you a story, while we wait for my friends? Believe me, it's... entertaining, to say the least."

(author's note: Hey, who says that there can't be a Middle Ages in this world. Also you might be seeing a few familiar faces soon. Finally, if you like the story so far, please tell me. If you don't, I'll kill you with one of my man-eating Lemmings.)


Chapter... Uh, Seven! I counted to Seven!: If you don't recognize him, you're a dumbass.

"So, this is Kohlingen. Looks lovely."

Lauren was right. Kohlingen is not only known for the fact that no two people can agree as to how it's pronounced, but is known as one of the most picturesque (I didn't even know that word until now) towns on Terra. "Well, Let's see if we can find out some info," I said. "Laura, you and Louie will go to the shops and load up on supplies. Ask if they've seen any warriors pass by in the past few days. Wark, stay out of sight. I don't know how people would react to you, but I don't want to know."

"Aww, but I want to go around, convincing people that they're insane!"

"Wark, no psychotics. Understand?"

"You never let me have any fun!"

"I'll take that as a yes. Anyway, Aural and me will go to the pub and keep an ear out for news."

"Hey!" Louie shouted. "Why do you and Aural get to go to the Pub?"

I sighed. This was going to be a long day. "Louie, who is the leader of this group?"

"You are," he replied cautiously.

"And who is the guy with two swords and limited power over nature, the use of which can kill a man, easy?"

"You are," came the answer. I was pleased to hear some worry in his voice.

"Then I suggest that you don't try to argue with me on this one."

"Okay... Di."

With that delicious little dialogue over with, Aural and me went to the pub.

I was disappointed when I stepped in. There was only two people in there at the time: the barkeep, and a man dressed in black sitting in the corner. I didn't bother with him; I doubted that he was either here when they came, or paid attention to them if he was.

"Hey," I asked the barkeep, "have you seen a party of four pass by here recently? Had the look of warriors, one of them talking like a funny knight from ancient times?"

He stared at me. "Look, I don't see nothing that goes on here. And it's best not to try to, either."

"Uh, okay. Thanks." I walked over to Aural, who hadn't taken his eyes off the guy in the corner. "Well, Aural, it looks like we won't find any info here. Hey, Aural?"

"It's him," he murmured to me. "The guy in the dark suit. He was with Sir Cyan."

"What!?" I didn't bother to listen to his reply, as I was making my way towards this Mysterious fighter.

"Hey!" I shouted at him. "What do you know about Cyan Garamonde!?"

He looked up at me, and I froze. His eyes were totally devoid of feeling. "I wouldn't suggest talking to me," he said with no emotion.

"I don't care! If you don't tell me-"

I didn't get to finish the sentence, as he got out of his seat faster than I could see and put a dirk to my neck.

"One of the first rules of survival," He said in that monotone voice of his, "is to never threaten a ninja."

I was going to reply, but the words stuck in my throat as I saw what Aural was doing. He had thrown his dirk right at him. Specifically, at his hand with the dirk. I was a little surprised that he'd try something so drastic, but what really surprised me was that the ninja caught it. He looked at Aural.

"Hmph. You're good, kid. Almost didn't see it." He lowered his own dirk. "Have you ever taken lessons in the ninjutsu?"

"No," Aural answered. He seemed a bit shaken about what just happened. "Never."

"If you did, you could do better than me." He then turned to me. "How do you know Cyan?"

"I am from Doma. I am searching for Sir Cyan to help rebuild Doma, as we are the last ones left."

"Hmph." I wish that I knew who the hell this guy is and what's he thinking. "They came by a week ago. I would have joined them, but they felt that my price was too high. They have left for Zozo, but if you want to meet them, your best chance is in Jidoor."

"I see. Thank you, mysterious ninja. We will take our leave now."

"Wait." We stopped, curious as to what he wanted. He pulled out three scrolls from his pack that held no limits, and tossed them to Aural. "These are ninjutsu scrolls. Throw them, and if you have the power, you will be able to decimate your enemies. I suggest you use them wisely."

"Uh, thanks. What are they? I mean, what do they do?"

"I'll leave that to you to discover." If I could see his face, I'd swear that he was smiling.

"Wait, who are you?" I asked.

"...Call me Shadow."

(Author's note: I don't mean 'Terra' as in the woman, I mean the planet. Long story short, I hate the name, 'Earth'.)


Chapter eight: ambush!

It has been a week, and I am losing what little hope I have gathered.

We are only a day's journey away from Jidoor, but I can't find any joy in it. Ever since the journey started two months ago, I have searched for him. But, what if I never find him? What if I will search my entire life, all in vain? What if...

"Di?"

I sighed. I seemed to do that a lot these days. "What is it, Laura?"

The morally loose woman walked into my tent. I always wondered why they made tents so that they would only last a night. Good marketing, I guess.

"It's... I wanted to ask you a question. Is it a good time?"

"Well," I smiled, "it wasn't until you came. So, what is it you wanted to ask me?"

She sat down next to me on my sleeping bag. It was a bit close, but I couldn't say that I was totally displeased.

"Well," she started, "I was just wondering..."

"Yes?"

Why are we chasing after this Cyan guy?"

"Huh?" I asked.

"We have been following this Cyan guy for, what, two months? I think that we should do other things."

I was about to retort angrily, but she was right. I was searching for Sir Cyan when we should be working on destroying the Empire.

"You're right," I sighed. "It's just... Damn it, Laura, Sir Cyan was like a father to me. He was the one who taught me how to use a sword. I just feel like... like I could do it if he was here."

"But from what we've heard, Cyan has joined the Returners. He is trying to destroy Gestahl, and Kefka too. We owe it to him, and Doma, to follow in their steps."

"Okay," I agreed. Tomorrow, when we reach Jidoor, we'll see about getting passage to Vector. With Louie's and Aural's history with the Empire, I'm sure we can-"

"WAARRRRKK!"

We both glanced at each other, and ran out.

Wark was there, but he didn't look happy. Eight people, probably the bandits we heard about, were trying to silence Wark. Thankfully, he kept enough sense not to talk, or he could die.

"Hey!" I shouted. eight heads swiveled to look at me. "Who do you think you are?"

"We are the Iron Fists," one called as he laughed. "No one can match us in strength. We figure that this Chocobo will fetch a pretty price, so we figured we'd sell them."

"I wouldn't count on that," someone said behind him. The spokesman turned, and found a fist straight in his face. He staggered back, but didn't fall. That said much about his balance.

Aural stepped out of the shadows, Louie close behind him, rubbing his knuckles. "Damn, they are tough," he muttered.

The Iron Fists all laughed as one. "So, they want to fight, do they?" one asked rhetorically. "Well, let's see how you do!"

Four of them attacked Aural at once, and he was down before he could react. Louie, though, was able to skewer two before he fell. Now, it was six against two.

They decided to split, three for each one of us. I was worried as to how Laura would do, but had to focus on my assailants. They were smart, working like a machine. My swordtechs take about 2-5 seconds to prepare, and they never gave me enough time to start. Once I blocked one's punch, another sends a kick to my head.

But my heart sank when I saw Laura. She had been doing her best to defend herself, but they brought her to her knees in the end.

"Uwee, hee, hee!" one laughed. I shuddered. They all sounded similar to Kefka. "Looks like we gots ourselves a bonus."

I snapped. One of them was starting to tear off her clothes, and I lost all control. I gathered my energy, and focused it all around my body. I don't know how I knew what to do, but I did.

"MORTALITY BREAKER!" I screamed.

A bright blue light surrounded us all, and I ran. I was moving so fast that even I didn't know what I was doing. I ran by them all, delivering quick slashes to them all. When I stopped, I saw them all split into four different major parts. The crisis was averted. We were safe, so I did the only sensible thing to do.

I fainted.