What If
by *~Mithfeniel~*




This is a small songfic about the after effects of defeating Sin and it’s toll on Yuna........
(Inspired by the song ‘What if’ by Kate Winslet)
Disclaimer: I do not own anything, not the song, not the characters......not anything. Except the story.

D/c: This is my first songfic....in fact it’s my first fic altogether. It’s meant to be quite a touching piece which helps to understand Yuna’s feelings about Tidus’ vanishing act and how she copes. Please read and review!!
**************************************************************
Yuna stood on the edge of the dock, staring out into the ocean. It had been a week since she had defeated Sin.......and lost Tidus..

Here I stand alone,
With this weight upon my heart,
And it will not go away


She closed her eyes and thought about what had happened. She thought about when she first met Tidus. Young, care-free, and then she thought about how he changed while they journeyed.

In my head I keep on looking back,
Right back to the start,
Wondering what it was that made you change


She realised that his most abrupt change was when fighting Yunalesca. She had stood up for her rights and he was right there beside her.

Well I tried, but I had to draw the line
And still this question keeps on spinning in my mind


Why didn’t she spend more time with him. Talked to him. She had noticed how upset he was sometimes but never ventured to ask what was wrong. If she had known......what he was she could’ve prepared, even helped him.

What if I had never let you go,
Would you be the man I used to know
If I’d stayed
If you’d tried
If we could only turn back time
But I guess, we’ll never know


Yuna turned and faced away from the sea. She wiped the tear from her cheek and walked towards the centre of Luca. She had to read a speech to the people of Spira. But where would she go from there?
Many roads to take
Some to joy, Some to heart-ache
Anyone can lose their way


She met Lulu on the way. She looked away so Lulu wouldn’t notice the tears. But Lulu pulled Yuna towards her own body and hugged her. Yuna wanted to explain her feelings but thought better of it.

And if I said that we could turn it back
Right back to the start
Would you take a chance and make a change
Do you think how it would’ve been sometimes
Do you pray that I’d never left your side


She pulled away, sniffled a bit and carried on to the stadium. When she arrived, she approached the palladium and stared down at the speech. She opened her mouth to speak but couldn’t say the words. It was all a load of rubbish.

What if I had never let you go
Would you be the man I used to know
If I’d stayed
If you’d tried
If we could only turn back time
But I guess, we’ll never know


She began to say things that had not been prepared, she spoke straight from the heart, not even letting the advisor stop her. She carried on, feeling her eyes burn, and fill with even more tears.

If only we could turn the hands of time
If I could take it back, would you still be mine?
‘Cause I tried but I had to draw the line
And still this question keeps on spinning in my mind


She finished and the whole stadium roared with cheers with cheers and applause. She looked at her friends and they were all smiling, Wakka was even crying. She smiled too and thought back to that one moment of happiness she shared with Tidus.

What if I had never let you go
Would you be the man I used to know
What if I had never walked away
Would you still love me, more than I can say
If I’d stayed
If you’d tried
If we could only turn back time


Then her mind skipped to their final parting....tears were falling down her face freely, but she felt good. Everyone loved her and was so proud. She walked through the door and Kimahri was waiting. He had some important information
.......... and it involve Tidus

But I guess we’ll never know
We’ll never know

FIN