Second Sun, An RPGC Fic
by StarStorm




Prologue: Second Sun
---

Date: October 1, 2008
Location: Monroe, Michigan, USA.

It was as if Godzilla had come to life.

Except it wasn't reptilian, and from the later Japanese movies, decidedly less benevolent.

It was bipedal, a white-skinned mockery of the human form. Giant red eyes glowed despite the fact that it was the middle of the day. Large claws on its fingertips brought down buildings more effectively (And less cleanly) than a wrecking ball.

It was the perfect engine of destruction.

Tanks, situated quite a distance back, fired repeatedly at the monster. Not continuously, but enough to do some damage.

As if it cared.

Air support was called in. Jets streaked in, firing missiles at the creature. Those that had not finished unloading their weaponry turned back to release the rest. Bombers high overhead dropped bomb after bomb, uncaring of the landscape around it. They didn't have to, the creature destroyed everything else.

It only looked around in amusement and continued on its merry destruction.

Eventually though, it seemed to grow tired of the tanks, and striding easily toward them, it took a deep breath and exhaled. A jet of white-hot flame screamed from its mouth, as hot as the sun. Tanks melted, brave soldiers had the flesh seared from their bodies before their bones disintegrated, and the ground itself was charred beyond recognition. In some places there was glass.

Finally the big guns were brought out. It was decided that Monroe was lost totally, and the President authorized the use of a weapon not used since World War II.

As the monster approached Detroit, several bombers, flying several miles up, unleashed the most devastating weapon man has created to date: the nuclear bomb.

The creature, admittedly, was surprised as megaton after megaton of explosive energy bombarded it. As its breath had decimated the land it touched, so was the land surrounding it. Nuclear explosion after explosion, the light could be seen as far as Chicago. The barrage was nothing short of relentless.

The faithful knelt and prayed for salvation in the coming Armageddon. Even those who did not hold faith could not help but pray. Even the most jaded souls wept at the destruction being wrought.

And yet... when the smoke cleared...

The creature remained. Panicked reports were sent to the airbases the bombers had left from, mere seconds before they were destroyed.

All was still for a few minutes. Each minute felt like an eternity.

And then, it laughed. The booming, malicious laughter could be heard almost all over the earth. Not through hearing, but as a shudder through the souls of six billion human beings, and countless more creatures.

And finally, it spoke.

"So. The Dreamer has not come. And I am victorious. As it is...."

The creature started to burn with an inner light a scant millisecond before it exploded, reforming into something brighter than the sun. The survivors would refer to it as the Second Sun.

the heat of the Second Sun vaporized everything within a hundred miles. The radiation alone seared through everything, even the earth itself. Instantly, billions upon billions of people died, before they had a chance to register what had even happened. Perhaps a few million human beings would survive. The ecosystem of the planet was ruined beyond any recognition. Even if the few lucky ones survived, it would be hard to survive for very long.

And then as soon as it appeared, the Second Sun died. And the earth died with it.

When the sun set on the first of October, Year 2008 A.D., the earth, as humanity had known it the day before, was gone.

Chapter 1: Five Years Ago...
---

Date: October 1st, 2003
Location: Monroe, Michigan, USA.

I am NOT a morning person.

I have a hard time waking up, and get really grumpy if I wake up, especially before I want to. But my boss said if I was late one more time, I could forget about coming back.

Would be a perfect day. My girlfriend broke up with me yesterday. Well no, I broke up with her, after finding her in bed with one of my coworkers, and a complete jackass. The nice guy comes last, as usual. Well, I tried.

I take a shower and dress, wondering if today would be even worth the effort. Maybe I should call in sick. At least I don't have a supervisor breathing down my back and Mike gloating over taking my woman away from me.

But I need the money. Money over my sanity. This is what my life has gone down to: an ex who cheats on me, and if rumor is true, with a lot of people. Idiot coworkers who never seem to have outgrown puberty, and a dead end job.

Time to go to work.

At least I'm not late, but it's just like I figured. Mike trying to humiliate me by talking about his conquest in front of everyone. The guys are laughing their heads off; the girls seem to be tittering as well. I ignore them as best I can, and Dana gets on my back about being too slow, which gives them more to laugh about. Eight hours of this and close to minimum wage. Yay.

Finally, eleven o'clock. I punch out and drive home. Most of my family is asleep, so I get on the computer for something to do. A few games, which bore me to tears. Maybe a little porn... no I don't even have the mood for that too.

So all I do tonight is just click, click, click. I don't really pay attention. Boring as hell. Maybe a chat, but then I'll find the usual weenies looking for a quick cyber-lay.

I get off the comp and head to the TV to watch a movie. Not much, just some Disney movie. Something sort of happy to cheer me up. At least that works a little bit, and an hour and a half later, I go back to the computer for more games.

Then an alarm goes off. Five-thirty. My brothers will be getting up for school, and my mom will be wanting on. It seems like she went to bed earlier. Fine by me. I'm tired. I should go to bed and get enough rest for more mind-killing drudgery.

I go to my bed and undress, slipping under the comforter. Thankfully, sleep comes quickly.

---

Location: Ruins of New York City
Date: May 3, 194 A.S. (2202 A.D.)

He held his back to the burned out ruin of a skyscraper. Looking around the corner, he found that what he had been hearing was correct: One of the mutations that the Second Sun seemed to have spawned was just lurking out of the corner. If he recalled, this one was thought to have a very good sense of hearing. But blind. Very blind. If he was quiet...

PC, as the man was known, was very good at quiet.

Trying to keep his footsteps and breath as low as possible, he crept toward the "Dhroma". It looked like a living plant, a large mouth in the middle of a tangle of what seemed to be vines. The vines were feelers of a sort, and quite strong, as PC recalled. His last encounter with one was almost fatal: It preferred to eat like a snake, which perhaps suggested a reptilian connection.

Once he got in close enough, he reached into his pocket, palming a firebomb: what they used to call a grenade pre-Sun, and a pretty difficult relic to find. One much worth finding though. He stomped his foot as he pulled the pin out and the Dhroma turned toward him, shuffling on it's tentacles at a surprisingly fast clip.

PC backed away as quickly as he could, and threw the firebomb. He didn't even check to see if he hit it, he just turned and ran. A tentacle whipped out, reaching for his leg...

*KABOOOM! * Tentacle, blood and various Dhroma pieces scattered in all directions.

He turned around and shook off the gore from his good trench coat. As much as he disliked getting it messy, he was more grateful for the local salvager, who was quite happy to provide a couple of firebombs. At an exorbitant price, of course.

PC picked up several Dhroma tentacles. They would be useful since ClothHat had put a bounty on them: They bred like rabbits and had provided a nuisance to several of his enforcers. ClothHat may have been a lunatic, but he knew what he was doing at any rate.

If he was correct, one of the major nests would be around here. That fact was verified as Dhroma streamed out of a building five hundred feet away, attracted by the noise. Taking a small camera out of his pocket, he quickly snapped several photos of it, and backed away as quietly as he could. The Dhroma were confused by the lack of sound. The overpowering stench of gore would mask his.

Until, of all things, he heard a muffled snore in an alleyway behind him.

That did it. The Dhroma, locking in on the snore, came straight for PC. PC cursed under his breath and whipped around.

That was bizarre. What was a man doing sleeping near a Dhroma nest? For that matter, how did he get there in the first place?

Normally, PC would have left him behind. He really didn't care about others outside of what they could offer him, but he had heard enough about Dhroma not to let anyone be taken by them. The very thought made the bile in his throat rise.

He didn't have time to wake him. Cursing even more, he grabbed the man's arm and tried to pull him up, straining. "Fuck, you're heavy!" he growled as he started to drag him as quickly as he could to the passenger car of his metal horse. Another exorbitant expense from Sampo, but one also worth it.

PC literally threw him into the seat and hoped on the horse. Kicking it into gear, he let the throttle loose, and left the Dhroma far, FAR behind.

Chapter 2: Awakening
---

Location: The Ruin of the Empire State Building, New Brooklyn

PC slowed down slightly as the building came into view. Fortunately, the Governor's fortress was easy to spot: it was the largest building around.

He hopped off the metal horse as two humans, armed each with a spear and a light pistol, hustled out, weapons at the ready. PC held up his hands to show he hand no weapons in them, and called out "I'm here to see the Governor."

The guards stopped and stood rigid, saluting PC as he approached. Then one took a look at his metal horse. "Wha? Who's your friend?"

PC shrugged. "Found him sleeping near a Dhroma nest. Damn near killed me."

"Asleep?"

"No." PC sighed, as if the guard was one of the greatest idiots to walk the earth. "Could I get some help with him? He weighs a ton."

The guards stowed their weapons and lifted the man from the passenger car, and led PC into the skyscraper.

---

The Governor's office was somewhat clean. Most of it showed the luxury of the pre-war days. Most of it was in some bit of disrepair, although the local artisans in his pay did their best to maintain it.

The age, quite naturally, showed.

Right now, PC had laid his pictures out on the desk. "As I suspected, the nest was in the old Times Square, in one of the burned out theaters."

The Governor looked over the photographs. "Hmmm I see. Any estimates of numbers?"

"No idea. Quite a few Dhroma came out after I firebombed the first. I would believe over a hundred, maybe two."

"Lovely." The Governor frowned, looking up at PC. "And what about the Doe?"

PC shrugged. "No idea. He wasn't there when I last looked."

"Child?"

A shake of the head. "No. Despite what they'd like to have us believe, the Children don't have teleportation abilities. And if they did, I'd love to see the one who could do it in their sleep."

"Hmmmm." The Governor nodded. "I wouldn't put it past them though... but you have a point. I'll send a group into Times Square. Wertigon loves this sort of thing."

"Now is the time we discuss the rest of my payment."

The Governor rolled his eyes. At least PC was to the point.

----

I don't want to get up.

Although, admittedly, I feel more rested than I have in a year, I'm sore. No idea why. But I think I got some decent sleep... Oh crap.

I work today. I didn't hear my alarm. Dana's going to have my hide.

I quickly sit up, opening my eyes, before a pair of hands pushes me down. "You're not getting up yet until I've finished my exam."

The hell?

I open my eyes. Over me is a young woman in a white shirt, looking over me as if I was sick.

I could be. I know my house, and this is DEFINATELY not it. Finally I chance a few words. "Where the hell am I?"

The woman raises an eyebrow. "That's rude."

I sigh and try again. "Where the hell am I, please?"

The woman rolled her eyes and looks over to what seems to be the far side of the room. "Looks like there isn't any... marks, which is pretty strange for someone found near a Dhroma nest."

The man at the other end nods. "Alright, I'll go tell the Governor."

I try to get up, but the woman pushes me back down gently. "No. You still need rest.,”

"Tell me where I am first."

She looks at me as if I'm one of the stupidest people on earth. "You're in the Governor's Fortress."

"The what?"

Now she looks at me as if I'm really stupid. "The Governor's Fortress..."

I grumble slightly. "I heard you the first time. What are you talking about?"

She blinks once, and then holds me down, shining a light into my eye.

"Ack! Hey, cut it out!"

She seems worried for some reason. As if I didn't have a reason. "What's your name?"

"My what?"

She frowns and turns to pick up a notepad, a dark brown ponytail whipping behind her. "Confused, does not know name or locations, possible concussion."

"I know my name!"

She turns back to me. "Then what's your name?"

"Wesley Collins."

She nods, somewhat satisfied. "Alright. But I want to be sure..." She closes her eyes and seems to screw up her face in concentration. I have to stop the urge to laugh, as it looks completely silly. Until a light escapes her hands and strikes me, bathing me in the same light for a moment.

Now I'm in shock. I'm crazy. I finally snapped, and I'm in a rubber room at the local crazy house. I know it.

But would the madman know he's mad? Probably not.

She must have noticed the look of shock on my face. "What's wrong?"

"What the hell was THAT?"

She looked perplexed. "What?"

"That light?"

She blinks and stands there, as if thinking for a moment. "I think the Governor is going to want to hear about you. She almost runs to the door, but almost as an afterthought, she turns to me and tells me sternly, "Don't you dare get out of that bed."

With that, she's gone. Like I'm going to leave. I don't know where I am. Or what's going on. For that matter, what I'm going to do.

Chapter 3: The New Home

Wertigon sighed as he read the order from the Governor. Dhroma. It had to be Dhroma. The biggest evidence that the Second Sun was a pervert.

All the more reason to wipe out this nest. Shame that New Brooklyn had about a hundred years of unchecked infestation before it was settled. Maybe the infestations would never cease.

"GG, Nessa, I need you two. On the double."

Wertigon sat back in a rickety chair. It used to be something of luxury, but like almost everything in the fortress, age took its toll.

He waited for about five minutes before a young woman swept into the room, followed by a young man.

"What's up?" the young man said, coolly. He had the air of one who lived for a fight.

Wertigon threw down the pictures PC had taken. "GG, we have a Dhroma infestation in the old Times Square."

GG grinned and jerked his thumb over at the woman. "Any reason Nessa is here? You know what's going to happen... IPE!"

His voice rose about an octave with the application of a small ice spell centered on his crotch. Nessa just smiled at him and said, almost jovially, "Keep on going and I burn it too."

GG shut up. Quickly.

Wertigon laughed a bit, leaning back in his chair. "That's exactly what we're going to need, Nessa. GG, get your flamer. Think I might ask for Weiila, we'll probably need her."

GG rose an eyebrow. "She can't fight."

Wertigon sighed, and started to speak to GG as if he was mentally impaired. "She can heal."

"Good enough."

"Alright, here's the plan I had in mind..." Wertigon beckoned the two closer, and he pointed at various pictures as he outlined his plan.

---

The Governor tapped his fingers on the desk. "No memory, frightened of magic, and yet nothing's wrong with him?"

"That's the prognosis, Governor." Weiila sighed.

"Hmmm. Think he might be a Child?"

"Maybe. I can't tell if his mind is altered. My abilities don't stretch that far."

The Governor sighed. "As much as I'd love to find someone who can train you in that, if he is a Child, we don't have the time. And yet the circumstances point to him not being one."

"How would you know?"

"PC brought him in."

Weiila mulled this over for a moment, and then nodded. "Good enough. Where is PC anyway?"

"Collecting ClothHat's bounty."

"Ahh. So what do you suggest we do?"

The finger drumming stopped as the Governor pressed his fingers together. "Well, we'll keep an eye on him, think I might put the word out that we'll need someone with experience in memories. Jamie should be good to make sure everyone knows."

"So who's going to watch him?"

A moment later, Weiila left the office, resisting the urge to curse at the top of her lungs.

---

I laid there for a while, just looking around. I didn't have the time to take stock of the area while the dark-haired woman tended to me. But now that I was alone...

The room seemed to be a makeshift doctor's office. It made sense, she seemed like one. There were a few beds along the wall, clean sheets and everything. Nearby I could see a set of surgical tools. Some of them were rusted, as if they hadn't been used in a long time.

But what got to me most is the age of the room. Wooden paneling seemed to be cracking with age, and the ceiling, which was probably white when it was first painted, was a golden yellow with age. The lights seemed to flicker slightly, as if there wasn't enough power to supply them.

What had happened?

The woman returned, sighing and muttering to herself. "Are you feeling alright?"

I nodded. I don't think it was the time to argue.

She continued. She seemed annoyed. "The Governor welcomes you to New Brooklyn..."

"What?" New Brooklyn? The hell?

She looked at me with another one of those "God you're stupid" looks. "New Brooklyn."

"Uhm... humor me here, but why is it called NEW Brooklyn?"

She shrugged. "Because it was built on the ruins of the old Brooklyn."

Ruins? What the hell? What exactly was going on here?

I must have looked extremely confused at that, because she sighed. "I don't really know. That's a question for Trillian."

I'll have to talk to them later. Whoever this Trillian is.

"One more question, then..."

Now she was getting very annoyed. "What?"

So was I. "Why the hell are you barking at me? I haven't done a damn thing!"

She looked at me for a minute, and then sighed. "Sorry, I just seem to be testy lately..."

I shrugged. "Fair enough. But please don't be testy to me, okay? Sorry for interrupting, but do go on."

She nodded, and starting speaking in a somewhat calmer tone. "The Governor wishes to extend a welcome from New Brooklyn, and has offered you a guest room in the fortress."

Niiiiice. I get a guest room from what's apparently the Big Boss around here. Normally I'd question why, but hey, it is a place to stay after all. "Tell him I said thanks."

"He's also... asked... me to give you a tour of the fortress, just a quick look around." She sighed a bit. There we go. Apparently she didn't want to do this. Ah well. Couldn't blame her, having to show around a newcomer for a little while.

I decided to break the ice. "Uhm.. after all this, I never did catch your name..."

"Weiila." She smiled just a bit, and extended her hand. "Sorry about not having proper introductions earlier."

I took her hand and shook it lightly. "No problem." I sat up and pushed myself out of the bed. Uh oh... "Uhm... where are my clothes?"

Weiila seemed to be suppressing a laugh. "I'll go get them."

Ten minutes later, Weiila was showing me around the "Fortress". Nothing much, there were quite a few people running around, which Weiila greeted by name, and I nodded in greeting. But one thing got to me.

"Why does everything seem so... old and dirty?"

Weiila sighed softly. "I think... I'm not sure, but I think this building was abandoned for about a hundred years."

"A hundred years? What the fuh... Why?"

She looked at me like I was crazy for a moment. "Why? Everyone in New Brooklyn was killed 200 years ago by the Second Sun."

"200 YEARS?" I just had to ask. Something was wrong. "Years? What year is it?"

"194 A.S."

"Anno Domini, please?"

Her face contorted, as if trying to remember something. "Let's see... Trillian said that the Second Sun happened in 2008, so I'd say it would be... 2202 A.D."

200 years. I was almost 200 years in the future. Five years after yesterday... What was yesterday anyway...

What happened to me?!?!

---

Glossary

Second Sun: Refers to the disaster that happened over Monroe, Michigan, which wiped out almost the entire population of earth and pretty much wrecked every ecosystem on the planet. There are some survivors, and while they have not had an EASY existence, they have somewhat thrived.

Pre-Sun: Before the coming of the Second Sun.

A.S: After Sun. Year Notation. 0 A.S. Corresponds to 2008 A.D.

Mutation: Refers to the creatures, which started to appear approximately 20 A.S. Referred as mutations because, most generally don't look or seem like any sort of creature before the Second Sun.

Dhroma: A reptilian or plant beast that seems to be one giant mouth surrounded by a mass of tentacles. Not very strong in combat, but fast and the tentacles have been known to paralyze. Only knows two things: Eating and mating. It's mating habits are... disgusting to say the least. Often lives in nests with numbers reaching over a hundred. It's usually advised to bring some sort of flame, as they seem to burn easily.

Firebomb: A grenade.

Metal Horse: A motorcycle. Operational ones are rare, especially with the fact that usable fuel must be refined in a painstaking process. The only one who really knows how to make fuel in decent amounts is Kai Sampo... In New Brooklyn anyway.

Salvager: Someone who specializes in salvaging, repairing, and building Pre-Sun Technology. Salvagers are a rare commodity.

New Brooklyn: A series of skyscrapers in the ruins of New York City, New Brooklyn is probably the largest human settlement on the eastern Seaboard, boasting a population of about fifty thousand. The most notable fact is that most of the usable farmland is on the rooftops of heavily guarded buildings.

Child: A follower of the Children of the Second Sun.

Flamer: A flamethrower.

Chapter 4: Cleaning House

----

Location: Ruins of Time Square, New Brooklyn
Date: May 4, 194 A.S.

Thirty soldiers, or the likenesses thereof, congregated around an old theater. Ten more had taken up positions on the rooftops of various buildings surrounding it, guns at the ready.

"Shame we don't have any combustible ammo." GG sighed, looking up at the sniper positions.

Wert nodded. "Yeah. Well, as soon as Kampo or ClothHat finds an ammo dump, we'll try and rectify that. Is Omega team in position?"

GG looked up again. "Yessir."

"Alright. Delta team, if anything that has green skin and/or tentacles leaves the building, I want it fried before it hits pavement. Bravo and I will take the party home."

Nessa nodded in comprehension as her team took up positions.

"Alright, lets torch the place." Twenty soldiers in two teams, armed mostly with light weapons and spears, entered the theater.

---

"You alright?"

Owwwwww... my head is killing me. "No I'm not alright. I just had my head beaten in." I opened my eyes and focused them on Weiila.

"Actually, no, you fainted."

"I fainted?"

She sighed, another one of those "Why are you so slow" looks. "You fainted. So I dealt with the bumps on your head and took you to your room."

I sat up. Well the bed was comfortable. I would think it would have been hard after... how long was it? Oh yes. 200 years. I had to resist the urge to pass out again.

200 years. 200 years in a post-apocalyptic future... On the good side, the assholes I had to deal with were all gone. On the bad side, so what everything and everyone I cared about.

I have this slight tendency to focus on the bad.

Ok, Wesley. Focus. You don't know how you got here, you don't know what you're going to do here, and you're three steps from blind panic.

Blind panic seems so comforting right now.

"Ugh. I think I'll be alright. It's just..." I rubbed my head lightly.

"Just what?"

I thought for a moment about telling her. But on reflection, she would see it as crazy. Certainly people don't come here with stories of time travel, especially in their sleep. How exactly to you explain to someone you were around almost two centuries before they were ever conceived? "Nothing. Don't worry about it."

She frowned. She kept quiet, but she didn't seem to buy my excuse. Oh well. "About that tour?"

I got up from this bed (I seem to be in bed a lot...), and let her lead me out.

---

"Bravo team, are you in position?" The message was broadcast via spell to GG's ear. They couldn't risk a lot of sound when they were about to enter... or at least flush out the Dhroma nest. Not yet.

GG turned to the nearby mage and nodded. The mage started to speak, but no sound escaped her lips: it would be transferred to Wert's ear.

"Alright then, let's rock." Wert gave the signal to Nessa, and she pointed at the ground. Almost as if a small charge was placed there, the ground, ten feet away, exploded. Loudly.

"Bravo team, hold your ground for now." Twenty men and women, flamethrowers at the ready, aimed at two doors: Alpha on the west wing, and Bravo on the east.

It didn't take long for the Dhroma to start stampeding out, enticed by the prospect of food. Fortunately for the soldiers, they tended to be rather stupid.

As soon as the first Dhroma burst through the passage, flame poured out of nozzles toward the door. And the first Dhroma to leave was the first to burn.

----

I followed Weiila around the complex. Mostly vertical, I figured it would be an old skyscraper. The dormitories, training areas, armory, and cafeteria...

Wow. I hadn't thought of how hungry I was.

Breakfast wasn't what I was used to: It consisted of a scant portion of meat, and mostly vegetables. The meat I could understand. Edible meat would probably be rare. I doubted I'd want to know where it came from. But the vegetables... how did they grow them in a large city?

"Oh, we have farmland. Just not out in the wilds, it's too dangerous. Mutations and Children tend to ruin what crops we try to grow there." Mutations and Children? I'll ask later. Right now I'm hungry and curious.

"So where do you grow them?"

She pointed up. "On the roof."

Uhm... yeah. "That doesn't seem to be the best place to grow food."

She shrugged. "No it isn't, but we make do. But it's all we can do for now. It keeps them pretty safe. I'll have to show you later."

Yeah, you would. "Alright. So what are mutations and Children?"

Weiila thought for a moment. "Mutations are creatures that as far as we or Trillian know, have never existed before the Second Sun. Don't know how long they've been around. Before my time, really."

"What about the Children?"

She looked incredulous. This was starting to get to me. "You never heard of the Children?"

"No."

She sighed. "The Children of the Second Sun. Don't know much about them, they're a bunch of lunatics that worship the Second Sun. Nessa could fill you in better on that."

Oi. Now, nicely fed (if not abundantly), I stood up. Weiila had finished long ago. She took our dishes to the kitchen as I waited for her by the door. "Now you promised to show me the roof?"

She smiled a bit and I followed her out.

---

After the first wave of Dhroma, those who still had fuel in their flamers went deeper into the nest. Alpha and Bravo had met now, and were clearing out portions of the nest.

"Gotta love the smell of roast mutant in the morning," one of the soldiers next to GG quipped.

GG smirked. "It better be the only thing we smell once we finish here, or Wert's going to have our hides, Simms."

Simms grinned. "We could always throw him to the Dhroma."

"I heard that!"

If the sounds of flamers weren't enough to attract Dhroma attention, Wert's shout was. A few more left the tunnels, and GG and Wert turned quickly to meet them.

"Yeeeehaw! I'm handin' out beatings and pie, and I'm all out of pie!"

Wert laughed. "Where the hell do you come up with these things?"

"No idea. Less talky, more roasty." GG smirked, turning back to the issue at hand.

Three more had left now, returning to the surface to refuel, leaving a troop of twelve. Wert shouted out to the remaining soldiers "If anyone leaves, we all go! We can't afford to stay with any less!"

"How many do you think we've wiped out?" Simms called out.

"Maybe a hundred. I'm not counting." Another soldier, about ten feet away called back.

"You too?" GG laughed.

"SHIT!"

"What's going on back there?" Wert did his best not to turn back to face the shout.

"Mutants coming in behind us sir!"

"FUCK! Fry them and let's get topside. We can't afford this!"

"I'm out!"

GG still grinned, although his voice was just a bit nervous. "Just can't get worse, can it?"

"NO! Help!"

Wert looked at GG as he turned to look at Simms, who now seemed to be quite entangled in Dhroma tentacles. "GG, why don't you shut up?"

GG stepped back, blinking, thinking to himself, Aw shit. If that thing's about to infest, we better get him out before...

It was too late. One of the tentacles shot out from the Dhroma and into a place that things normally left.

"Oh... my... god..." GG pulled a sword from his back intending to cut Simms free, but it was too late. Bulges started going from the Dhroma's body into Simms. Simms screamed as each bulge entered his body. The Dhroma was pumping its eggs into him so his body heat would incubate them.

There was only one thing to do, and it was out of mercy.

"I'm sorry, Simms. You did good." GG sighed as he swung the blade across Simms' neck. Simms could only nod, blinded by pain before he took his last breath.

"Somebody ice him, make sure they won't hatch!" Wert called out, resisting the impulse to vomit. He'd NEVER get used to seeing that. The closest mage pointed at Simms' body, which ended up quite stuck to the invading Dhroma, as they were encased in ice.

GG turned around and checked the fuel gauge to his flamer. No time to mourn right now. He didn't want to end up like his friend. "Got enough to get us out Wert, we better get moving."

Wert nodded. "GG, you go up front, clear out a path. I'll hold the rear. Send a message to Nessa, we're going to need backup, now."

The message was relayed, and Nessa's voice sounded in his ear. "No can do, Wert, we've got a problem."

"What sort of problem?" Things just got better and better.

"Several coaches coming in, guns blazing. Thought they were bandits, but they're Children! We need help out here!"

Wertigon groaned. "We better get out of here as soon as possible. Our guys topside are under fire by the Children!"

GG swore. Profusely. As they started to make their way back to the top, they could hear gunfire. Things just couldn't possibly get worse.

Chapter 5: Advent Children

----

The scene outside of the nest was a mess. There were bodies all over the place. Spent shells littered the sidewalk, and a coach was burning ominously, demolished from crashing head-on into a wall.

Driving over a strip of ice at 80 miles an hour would do that.

Nessa knelt behind a doorway, pistol at the ready. This was NOT what she needed. From the sound of the voice in her ear, the cleanup had gone badly. If they were still alive and unmolested, Dhroma would be tearing after them.

Might help bring down the Children, but they were just as bad for her. Worse if they weren't just Initiates. But then, this would seem like something to sacrifice Initiates to.

One of the coaches passed by the doorway, riddling the walls with bullets. She could hear the shouts of pain from those not lucky enough to get out of the way in time. A quick series of light thunder cracks suggested a mage with a little too much love of lightning. She peered out the doorway and took careful aim...

BLAM! One less mage. She quickly darted back in before it became two less mages.

She concentrated for a moment, making a complex movement with the fingers of her free hand, whispering, and “Wert, better be careful coming out this place is crawling."

A few seconds later came the reply: "It's kinda hard to be careful with Dhroma up the ass."

Even in the heat of the combat situation, Nessa wanted to beat her head on the wall. "Make that joke again, and I'll kill you myself. Better be fast, maybe if we can get the Dhroma after the Children..."

"If they don't gun us down once we get... AHHHHHHHHHHGGGG!!!" The scream made her ears ring. But it was easy to figure out why. Two less mages in the world now, if the liaison wasn't lucky.

The man across the doorway from Nessa was whispering himself, probably notifying the Governor. Backup would be very good right now. "Talking to the Governor?"

The man shook his head. "Just did, calling ClothHat."

"That would work." She poked her head out of the doorway as one of the coaches sped by for another pass. She quickly pulled the trigger, three times, really only putting holes in the coach's bodywork. As if it didn't have enough holes in it.

For a moment, Nessa wondered what the entire point of this attack was. It would make sense that they were en route to an attack on the Fortress, and she just had the bad luck to be in the way. But she wouldn't bet on it.

Renewed gunfire quickly got her attention. Peering out, she saw several men and women leaving the theater at full speed, alternately firing and being fired at as they looked for cover away from the theater. GG and Wert were the last to leave, and they quickly made their way to Nessa, narrowly avoiding being mowed down by a coach.

"What's the situation, Nessa?" Wertigon panted out as he turned to return fire at the Children.

"We're pinned, simple as that. Already contacted the Gov and CH. Now just waiting." She didn't waste time. "Casualties?"

"Three dead. Too many Dhroma with babies. Think they might turn on the Children?"

"We can hope. If there's any Maester in there, then our biggest worry is how fast we can run."

BOOOM! GG palmed another firebomb, pulling the pin and tossing it out the doorway. Not very effective, perhaps... unless someone drives over it. Another explosion, and a large coach toppled from the force of the explosion. Wertigon and the snipers on the roof above them made rather quick work of the survivors.

Only a few coaches left now, but not enough men to take them on. Not until two more coaches appeared. "Who are they?" GG wondered aloud, holding his gun ready, just in case.

Nessa squinted. "Well what do you know? That's ClothHat's tag. I think the cavalry's just arrived."

It did, in spades. And leaning out of the window in the lead coach was a particular figure. He may not have had his fedora, but his Tommy gun was apparent. "Wow. Guess he wanted to be a part of the action."

You don't argue with reinforcements, and ClothHat's presence certainly boosted morale. Wertigon smiled as another coach, with of all things, a man standing out of the sunroof with a bow, launched arrows into the coaches, some striking home, some not. One coach was now driverless.

Then one of the Children tossed a firebomb. Straight into the doorway where Nessa and company had positioned themselves. They didn't need any more convincing to leave.

Nessa was the last to leave, and she could feel the shockwave of the explosion throw her light frame down. This certainly didn't help when she realized that the coach that had the driver with an arrow through his jugular was barreling down on her.

Nessa closed her eyes and waited for the hit. A moment later, she could feel the impact of the coach against the wall, not six feet from her head. She looked up, and the coach was lying on its side. Wert grinned at her from across the street and pointed to the mage who was with her earlier.

A muffled groan got her attention. It seemed that one of the passengers had survived and was trying to escape the van. A quick lightning bolt fixed that.

One of the coaches veered around and started to tear for ClothHat's coach at full speed, head on. ClothHat just grinned. "It looks like they want to play chicken. Careful now. I haven't saved yet."

The other passengers knew better to argue. "I want us out of the way a second before we hit. Wert should be able to finish off the rest." With that, ClothHat stood up, poking out of the sunroof, and taking aim. Right when he had the driver in his sights...

A firebomb exploded, sending shrapnel everywhere. A chip of asphalt shot out and clipped CH on the back of his head, forcing him down to hit his head on the roof, and pulling the trigger by accident. The result ended up with the coach with three of its tires now worthless. The driver couldn't drive if his life depended on it.

Which it did, as the coach went headfirst into an old light post. ClothHat was merely out cold. As his men pulled him down from the sunroof, they had to wonder how he managed to do that.

As Nessa and the mages finished off the occupants of the fourth coach, the last one decided that discretion was indeed the better part of valor, and just kept driving by. Not before GG, taking a third firebomb, tossed it into the window of the fleeing coach.

KRABOOM! Bodies and coach parts flew everywhere.

Nessa sat back and sighed. That was quick at least, as ClothHat's coaches rumbled to a stop near them, and four more could be seen, speeding down the street, stopping as Weiila and several men and women disgorged to check on the wounded.

Chapter 6: Aftermath

----

When Weiila had left, she had basically told me to go to my room and stay there. Normally that would be insulting, but considering that I had really no idea of the layout of the place and that I didn't have anything to do...

Well it was a good idea anyway.

So I was sitting on the bed, twiddling my thumbs. There really isn't much to do around here. Not in my position, anyways, and I get bored easily.

An hour passed like this. Or at least it felt like one. The clock didn't work in this room, so I just had to guess.

Wow. There was a lot of noise in the corridor. Wonder what's up.

I opened the door and poked my head out. Wow. That was a lot of people. Quite a few of them on what looked like rusted gurneys. Wonder what happened.

Weiila passed by. "Weiila! What happened?" She didn't answer me. How nice.

A man was a little distance behind her. He looked like he was one of the tougher guys in the group. Why not? "What's going on?"

He turned to me, giving me the once-over. "You're the guy PC brought in, right?"

"PC? Who's that?"

He shrugged. "Children attack." And then he left, following the procession.

Hmmm... wonder what's up?

----

"Wert, report."

"Three dead in the nest, Governor. Twelve more from the Children. Families are being notified. Fourteen wounded. Weiila's tending to them now."

"Depressing."

"We never did get that nest cleaned. I'll probably take a few more in to finish the job."

"Might as well. As for the Children..."

"Eliminated. Any survivors were killed."

"Regrettable, but necessary. Nessa, do you have any idea why they would attack?"

Nessa frowned. "Probably just a raid. I don't know. I don't think there were any Maester in there. At the worst, I think, they're testing our defenses. The fact that they just came upon us... well."

"But we wouldn't know."

"That's the problem. It's been a while, remember that."

"Yeah, but I don't think they'd change too much. So where's GG?"

"Being treated for minor shrapnel wounds from the last firebomb he threw, I think."

"Alright. Well, we can speculate all we want, but we're not going to know unless they tell us. Dismissed."

Wertigon and Nessa saluted the Governor, then turned and left, leaving the Governor to wonder about the attack.

---

Dinnertime now. Weiila had come to get me. One could ask about it, but I started to wonder if I was allowed anywhere without an escort.

A cute escort, though.

Dinner was much less than I was used to. I tend to eat. A lot. I figured food was rationed though. You didn't see a lot of overweight people. It made me feel like an oddity. Now I wish I started working out.

Weiila seemed stressed. With all of the people that passed by the door, I couldn't blame her. There was quite a lot of blood.

"So what happened?" She was just eating, pretty quiet. Someone had to break the ice.

She sighed and looked up at me. "Fourteen come in, five dead before I could help them."

Uhm... "This one guy said it was a Children Attack..."

She shrugged. "About sums it up. Children found them as they were cleaning up the Dhroma nest that you appeared by. Pinned them down until ClothHat came along. I got there just after it ended."

"Ew. Sounds nasty." I winced.

"Could be worse."

"Alright. Oh... I wanted to ask. Is there any time we could see this Trillian person? I wanted to ask her a few questions."

She looked at me for a moment, as if in thought. "Uhm... ok. But could it wait until tomorrow?"

Guh. I sighed. "Alright."

----

A man stood in front of a large book, paging through it and reading by the candlelight. Incense burned in a corner of the room. The specific scent was to assist in concentration.

The man drew his finger down each page, murmuring to himself in thought. The book itself was the most valuable object within a thousand miles. To the man who was reading it and his followers, it was worth more than anything on this planet.

The Book of the Sun, to put it simply, was the collective writings and prophecies of the Grand and High Maester throughout the life of the Children. The prophecies and many of the writings were transcribed from the Second Sun itself, who appeared to them in dreams.

A knock at the door. The man turned around and waved a hand at the door, creating a small force that opened the door for him.

A young man stepped inside and bowed deeply. "Dhai'stiho, Grand Maester."

"Dhai, Maester." The Grand Maester bowed slightly, and spoke irritably. "Why am I being interrupted?"

"As accorded to the Prophecies of the Second Sun, I sent a small party to investigate the location given in the Book. The party was destroyed by the heathens, unfortunately."

The Grand Maester gritted his teeth. "A crime they will pay for when the Second Sun returns, I assure you. But get to the point."

"We did have sufficient warning, Grand Maester, but it wasn't enough. But it is as the Book had said. There was a party of heathens in Times Square, and they seemed to be preoccupied with a nest of Dhroma."

"Crime upon crime. Killing the Second Sun's creations as well as Its' followers."

"Yes. I believe the book would be correct that the one we must stop has arrived in that location. I only regret that we couldn't have found him in time."

The Grand Maester nodded. "A forgivable offense, but one that must not be repeated again. While I trust in the words of the Second Sun, I wish to be sure. There is nothing wrong in that. We wait and observe. If that is truly the one we seek, then we will know. If not, there is no harm in waiting."

The Maester nodded and bowed. "Your wisdom illuminates, Grand Maester."

"Thank you. Now go, noble Maester. Leave me to my studies." The Maester bowed again and left, closing the door behind him. Turning back to the book he quickly flipped the pages. Soon he found a particular one and read two particular lines aloud.

Where my creations gather in the Square of Time, and the moon shines high on the blood-red sky, My Adversary would come silently to the earth.

And this Adversary, this Dreamer, was taken into the kindness of the greatest of those who do not believe, in the greatest city of those who do not believe. And in there, he awoke, and would challenge Me.


"Soon. It will be soon." The Grand Maester smiled softly.

Chapter 7: Sage Advice

---

I was leaning on my elbow, looking out the window of a van. Weiila called it a "coach". It was kind of interesting. New words for old things, along with a vocabulary that I understood. This isn't what I imagined a post-apocalypse future to be like.

Nor the blue skies. I've was always imagining post-epoch to have gray, constantly cloudy skies. But the sky seemed... well, beautiful. The landscape less so.

Burned out skyscrapers, rusted hulks of cars, and a broken lamppost here and there. Just a depressing ruin. A few buildings showed some sign of habitation by humans.

Definitely not the post-epoch I always imagined. But it made sense to me. Humans adapted. They thrived. The world may be dead, but humans simply refused to die. And it showed.

"What are you looking for?" Weiila was in the front passenger seat. Some guy named GG was driving, he said he needed to see Trillian himself.

I shrugged. "Just thinking and looking."

GG sighed. "It's not like there's much to look at anyway."

"You can learn a lot of things just by looking."

GG shrugged. "Suit yourself."

I looked back out the window, sighing. What had happened in 200 years? Would I have survived whatever happened to the earth?

And yet, for some reason, I was alive, and many others didn't. I shouldn't even be here. But I am, so I might as well learn what I can and figure out what to do.

My biggest surprise was the fact that people used magic. This isn't something you expect when the world has been destroyed. Nothing Dungeons and Dragon-ish, but still. Useful and effective. Maybe I could learn it.

So much has changed. Heh. And to think, people were imagining solar-powered flying cars at this point. Instead I'm in an centuries-old Chevy Astro.

The buildings thinned out a little bit. A lot of tall buildings, but no skyscrapers. I turned around. New Brooklyn was a ways behind us. "Why so far out?"

"Trillian lives pretty far out. She generally likes to be left alone." GG shrugged. "The only ones I know that live near or with her are TD and Perc, and TD doesn't count."

"Why so?"

Weiila sighed. "TD's a ghoul."

"Undead?"

"Don't know. He's immortal and most of the time, utterly insane. Once in a while, when he's lucid, he'll come in for a decent bath, clothes and a haircut. Otherwise..."

Immortal? An eternity of insanity? "How sad..."

GG nodded. "Yeah. Perc is one too, but he's one of the lucky ones. He prefers to be called immortal though. He lives with Trillian."

"Still, being immortal would suck."

GG chuckled. "Maybe. I wouldn't mind being immortal. But I want to have kids, when I settle down y'know? Ghouls are sterile. But hey, mutants seem to have a hard time noticing them. Perc could walk though a flock of Razorbeaks and come out unscathed."

Weilla looked over at GG. "If you ever 'settle down' I'll eat my ponytail and ClothHat's fedora."

"Point." They continued to banter about. I tuned it out and looked back out the window. Monsters now walked the earth. Some people were immortal. Some could use magic. And the earth was all but dead.

I sat there in thought for a while, trying to make sense of my situation. I was failing rather miserably when Weiila reached over me and shook my shoulder. "It's too rough to take the coach any further. We have to get out and walk the rest of the way. It's a short walk though. Got the food GG?"

"Yep?"

"Food? We're going on a picnic?"

Weiila laughed. "No... some of it is for TD, so he doesn't get all over us. The rest is for Trillian. I don't think she's ever left the house. Perc usually comes for supplies."

This area was more of a ghetto than New Brooklyn. But it was a ghetto that I could understand. The road was cracked and broken around here. It was difficult to walk on, I could see what Weiila meant about driving.

We walked on in silence for about three minutes. "Uhm.. are there any monsters around here?"

GG shook his head. "Not that we know of. And those that do come are warded off by Perc and TD."

Weiila turned her head to the side, looking down an alleyway. "Speaking of whom..."

A growl emanated from the alleyway. A figure stepped out... it would be hard to describe how he moved. His hair was unkempt, his suit, of all things, a SUIT, was ripped, torn and dirty, and I swear you could smell him. How did I not notice?

Weiila just smiled and pulled a bit of meat from the duffel bag GG was carrying. (The "bag" as GG said.) She laid it carefully at her feet and stepped back as the man leapt at it, practically devouring it. "We should leave. TD only gets like that when he's hungry, and he gets annoying when he's not."

(Incomplete so far, library kicking the kitty)

Chapter 7: Sage Advice (Continued)

----

As TD devoured the meat, I followed Weiila and GG away. "That's horrible..."

GG sighed. "It's the same way with most ghouls. They're completely insane. TD is one of the lucky ones, sometimes he is sane..."

"I'd rather not have his luck."

"If I could cure him, I would. To spend two hundred years that way..." Weiila sighed then turned and waved at a building. I turned myself, and saw two guys hanging around in the building, trying to be stealthy but failing miserably. I looked at GG questioningly.

"ClothHat's men. He has them stationed around her home all the time, but they never do anything..."

Weiila chuckled in return as we approached a particular door. "I swear ClothHat is smitten with Trillian. I think it kinda annoys her."

She knocked on the door. A few seconds it opened showing a rather handsome young man. Probably in his late 20s. "Oh hello Perc..."

Weiila smiled as Perc took her hand and kissed the back of it. "Hello Weiila, GG. It's nice to see you again. And who is this young man?"

I hazarded a smile, and extended my hand. "I'm Wesley Collins."

He bowed deeply as he shook my hand. "I am Percival Rhyndon, although everyone calls me Perc or Percy."

"This is a ghoul?" I was amazed. For someone centuries old...

His face darkened slightly. "I prefer the term 'immortal'."

"Oh.. sorry."

Weiila shook her head wearily. "Wesley has a slight problem, and he was hoping to see Trillian."

Perc chuckled. "If you can get her away from the books, I'm sure she'll be happy to talk. I was about to go for supplies."

GG held up his "bag", "No problem. We brought a little bit from the Fortress."

"That is good. Perhaps you will have dinner with us then? It would be nice to have some company..."

Weiila smiled slightly. "I'd be happy to join you." GG nodded his assent. I nodded as well. I don't pass up a free meal.

Perc led us inside and closed the door. And the first thing I was struck by was how clean it was. Outside laid the depressing hulk of a ruined and almost abandoned hulk of a city. But here it was bright and homey, despite the dim light.

Perc smiled. "You seem surprised. If it were up to Trillian, this place would only get worse."

"Ah. I see. Look, I'm uh.. sorry about the ghoul comment, earlier."

A nod, in return. "It is alright. I am not really offended by such remarks."

Weiila turned to Perc. "Might if I help with dinner?"

"Always, m'lady. I could always use another hand."

I laughed a bit. "Where is Trillian?"

"In the study. GG will show you the way. I am sorry to leave you now, but I should start on dinner." With the, Perc and Weiila swept off.

GG led me to the door of the study. "I'd love to join you, but she usually bores me to tears. I'll talk to her when you're done."

"Thanks GG." With that, GG left me.

I knocked on the door firmly. Not loud enough to be demanding, but enough to get notice. "Come in!"

I opened the door, and shut it behind me. The room was lit by candlelight, and quite dim. Bright enough to read by, but it took my eyes a bit to adjust.

Books surrounded this place. And behind a desk facing the door, was Trillian.

Trillian looked like a thin, bookish person who could be quite attractive if she made an effort, but it was obvious she didn't. Her skin was pale, as if it had never seen the sun, and her dress was tattered and old. She looked up at me. "Who are you?"

"Wesley Collins, Miss Trillian. Weiila brought me here."

"Please. No miss. It makes me feel old." She stood and offered a pale hand to me, which she shook. "What's wrong?"

"You're so... pale. Have you been sick?"

She laughed. "Oh. I don't really leave the library much. Fortunately Perc is around to help with my research and take care of things around here."

"Ah. I see. Anyway, I had a few questions." She perked as I said that. I got the distinct impression of someone who loved to talk, especially about something she knew and when asked. "Now humor me here..."

"Gladly."

"I was just wondering what happened in the past two centuries. Starting with this 'Second Sun'"

Trillian pursed her lips and sat down. I sat down myself. "That's pretty common knowledge Wesley."

"Just humor me here."

She nodded and began to speak. "This all started on October 1, 2008 A.D., October 1, 0 A.S. In Monroe, Michigan, the world pretty much woke up to find a giant monster in the middle of the city. And as soon as dawn broke, it attacked."

I nodded, letting her continue. "The United States Government did their best to fight it off, and several other nations at the time did their best to aid. But they couldn't harm the monster. When they finally attempted to nuke it, it said something about a 'Dreamer' and exploded. The explosion lasted but a few moments, but the light could literally be seen around the world. Billions died that day, not to mention the entire ecology was damaged almost irreparably."

"Whoa..."

Trillian nodded, looking over my shocked face for a moment. "There were survivors, and there was enough salvageable food to supply the survivors, and enough seeds and livestock to deal with any food problems. Irregardless, it was a tough time. My great-great-great-grandfather was the librarian in the New York Public Library, but was in Miami, on vacation. My parents were a few of the lucky ones. As since, my family has been committed to preserving Pre-Sun knowledge and Post-Sun history through this second Dark Age."

"A noble and worthwhile thing to do."

She smiled slightly and nodded. "Yes. But I'm the first one here since the Second Sun, 194 years ago. As much as I would like to reclaim the library again..." She sighed softly, almost grieving, "A nest of Tarox live there, and the Governor and ClothHat are having trouble cleaning it out."

I winced. I always wanted to visit that library. "That is very not good."

She shook her head. "It isn't. But I digress. The survivors had their work cut out for them. While some, I'm sure, could reproduce Pre-Sun technology, the means weren't easily available anymore. And then, twenty years later, the first mutations appeared."

I nodded. "Tell me about the mutations."

"No one really knows where they came from, but it's been suggested that the same radiation that killed so many from the Second Sun turned many normal creatures into monsters. Percival tends to be very angry about that... He's somewhat of a nature worshipper. And I imagine seeing the mutations along with everything he held dear destroyed... That would have been horrible."

"For two hundred years..."

"Exactly. There are many types of mutants, classifying them all is an exercise if futility... for now. But for now... it's all we can do to survive against them. But the survivors gained an unexpected advantage. Sometime in 24 A.S., the first documented and reliable evidence of magic appeared."

"That must have caused a shock."

"Yes, but not in the way of the Middle Ages in Europe or the Salem Witch Hunts. I'm sure there were some who tried, but humanity was too busy surviving."

"Not a group to look a gift horse in the mouth."

"Exactly. Magic proved effective against monsters, and thus magic is here to stay. It's also quite helpful in returning the planet to what it used to be. It's not very well refined now, but given a few hundred years..."

"I wouldn't be surprised." I nodded.” Please continue."

"It was about thirty years after that a cult of mages came into prominence. They called themselves the 'Children of the Second Sun'. From what I gathered from Nessa, she was a Maester herself before she left for New Brooklyn, they were a group of people who worshipped the Second Sun and believed that it would come again, and to survive, they must follow it."

"A fair belief."

"Yes. So everyone thought. Until the Children started attacking anyone who tried to improve the world or kill any mutations. They believed that the world should not be changed from the way the Second Sun had made it... or kill any of it's creations. Add to that, anyone they could not convert they killed as an abomination to the Second Sun..."

"Yay. Islamic militants."

"What was that?" She looked at me intensely, seeming to think.

"Nothing. Please go on."

"Alright..." She gave me a thoughtful look. "They took over Neo-DC in short order. It was a city built on the ruins of the old Capitol of the United States of America. They have had their eyes set on New Brooklyn ever since it has settled, and well... New Brooklyn is currently in a war that has lasted for two decades."

"Oi. Nasty."

"Oh yes. The Governor has his grievance against the Children, and so does ClothHat. Normally the two would be fighting amongst themselves: The Governor, as nice as he is, sees ClothHat as a threat. But..."

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

She nodded. "Exactly. I'm hoping this war will totally unite the two factions, but since ClothHat has distinctly criminal tendencies, and I'm not sure if he wants to rule New Brooklyn..."

I nodded, "Tell me about New Brooklyn."

She nodded, taking another breath. "New Brooklyn was reclaimed on 114 A.S., by the first Governor. His great-grandson rules now. While it has not been completely settled or the mutations not fully dealt with, it has thrived, becoming what I believe is the largest human settlement on the East American Coast. The 'Pax Americana' was formed in New Brooklyn on 172 A.S., which encompasses the settlements of New Brooklyn, Angel City on the West Coast, and the Neo-Confederate States, which are the three largest settlements in North America that are not being controlled by the Children of the Second Sun. Soon we might expect delegates by ship about a 'Pax Atlantica', an agreement with London along the same lines. The Governor has asked me to witness it." She drew herself straight, as if exceptionally proud.

"So what you're telling me, is that it is a very violent time, with monsters, militant cultists, and magic?"

"Yes... you seem surprised. Why so? Did you lose your memory?"

I frowned. "You could say that."

She looked at me skeptically, as if she didn't buy it. "You're hiding something from me."

I sighed. "Alright, but you're not going to believe me. Do you really want to know why?" She nodded in reply. "I haven't told this to anyone, and you'll probably think me crazy, but..." I began to tell her my story. Once I was done, she looked at me thoughtfully.

"Hmm that is a strange story. I won't say I won't believe you, because stranger things have happened." Then she grinned, almost manically. "But if you're telling me the truth, you could certainly give me a first-hand account of the years before the Second Sun! I've only had Percival to tell me..."

A knock at the door, as Perc poked his head in. "Dinner is ready. Weiila, GG, and Wesley are going to have dinner with us. I hope you do not mind?"

Trillian nodded excitedly. "Certainly, certainly. Hopefully Wesley will stay here for a little longer, we have much to talk about!" She stood up and almost dashed out of the room, skipping. Perc just looked at me and smiled. "You are a charmer Wesley. I've never seen her so happy to see someone."

I frowned. "It's not what you think, and if you want to know, it's going to be a long story."

Perc led me out of the library, and led me into the dining room. As we sat down to eat (Perc must have been an excellent cook, what he made looked nothing less than delicious!) I thought about this time.

Radical, insane cultists. Monsters. Magic. A dangerous and desperate time.

I think I'm going to have to learn how to fight.

Chapter 8: Meetings

---

Five people sat in the Governor's office: the Governor himself, Weiila, GG, Nessa and Wertigon. All was silent as the Governor read the paper in his hand.

Finally he put it down. "Am I supposed to believe this?"

Weiila shrugged. "Trillian believes him, and so does Perc. Perc questioned Wesley himself."

The Governor pinched the bridge of his now. "Weiila, I know I would trust Trillian's knowledge, but tell me how I'm supposed to believe this man came from 200 years in the past? Is that even possible with magic?"

"Could be," Nessa piped up, "But we certainly don't know how."

GG nodded. "But it would explain a lot, from what Weiila told us."

The Governor turned to Nessa. "You're sure he's not a Child?"

"Very sure. He doesn't seem to carry himself as one."

"But a spy wouldn't do so."

"True. But it's like... I can tell. Any Maester could identify other Children."

The Governor nodded. "I'll want to interrogate him myself, probably. Jamie's also contacted me, he thinks he found someone skilled in mind magic. Weiila, I want you with me. Wert, take Nessa and GG to finish the cleanup in Times Square."

Wert nodded. "Sure. But I need to deal with the defense arrays first. Could it wait?"

The Governor nodded. "It'll have to then. Get Sampo too. The last thing we need is that thing fucked up. Dismissed."

Each one of the four stood to leave. The Governor sat back in his chair, and sighed as he read the paper again.

---

I sighed as Weiila led me down the corridor. "Are you serious? The Governor wanted to speak with me?"

Weiila nodded a bit. "Yes. He's.... interested in your story and wanted to hear it firsthand."

Oh yay. More talk. Any more and my throat would die. Trillian and Perc had me talking through the night. "He thinks I'm crazy, doesn't he?"

She paused for a second. "You... could say that."

Whatever. We arrived at a rather impressive door, on which Weiila knocked. The door opened, and she pulled me inside.

The room was pretty dark, but still light enough that I could see two men at the far end of the room, one behind a desk, and another beside it. The man behind the desk stood up as we approached, and extended his hand. I shook him, looking over him somewhat.

My first impression was that this was a man you didn't want to mess with. Not only did he ooze authority, but seemed like a badass who had been in several fights. His short crew cut suggested he was a soldier previously. He wouldn't look out of place in a drill instructor's uniform, but in the suit he wore, he had the impression of a general. "Take a seat."

I sad down. Weiila sat next to me. "I am Zero, Governor of New Brooklyn. Most call me Governor though. And this man here," He motioned to the man next to the desk, "Is Zam, a mind mage in ClothHat's employ."

That's one hell of a name. "Mind mage?"

Zero nodded. "Let's just say I would like to verify your story..."

I frowned. "I'd rather not have anyone rifling through my mind."

Zam just chuckled. "I won't have to go to such extremes. Just to detect if you're lying or not."

"Fair enough." Shrewd of Zero. Somewhat insulting, but I suppose you didn't get to lead without some sort of distrust. I just wish I knew why.

"Alright. Let's start. What is your name?"

"Wesley Lee Collins. I don't have a serial number, or remember my Social Security number."

Zero frowned. I sighed a bit. "Sorry. A joke."

"I see. Where did you live before the Second Sun?"

"As of October 2003, I lived in Monroe, Michigan. The city that Trillian said the monster destroyed before it became the Second Sun."

Zero raised an eyebrow. "I see. Tell me how you got here." He seemed to pay attention to this.

"I don't know. I went to bed after an exceptionally bad day at work. When I woke up, Weiila was examining me like a doctor."

Weiila chuckled. "I am a doctor. Well a healer anyways. I specialize in healing magic."

Zero nodded to Weiila, and she fell silent. "Zam? Well?"

Zam shook his head. "His story seems to check out, Governor."

Zero frowned deeply. "I fail to understand. You say you are from before the Second Sun, and yet are not a ghoul. You have no idea how you got here?"

I nodded. "I'm just as clueless as you are."

Zero pursed his lips, thinking. "What did you work as?"

I sighed. "Menial work. Unloading trucks in a supermarket, sorting, pricing."

"No experience with Pre-Sun technology?"

"A little, but nothing beyond the normal person. I'm fairly decent with computers, but nothing beyond the end user." An interrogation to an interview? Weird.

He nodded. "But say, can't build or maintain?"

"Always wanted to learn. Maybe I could maintain computers a little, but I really don't know much."

"I see." He nodded. I could imagine it would be disappointing. But then... oh why not, it couldn't hurt.

"I am interested in learning how to fight though."

Zero raised an eyebrow. "Why so?"

I shrugged. "Well, sir, I will admit that I would not have joined the military before I came here. But that was pretty safe. It's pretty agreed upon that this is a pretty dangerous place. I really don't have any skills, so perhaps I could be useful."

Zero gave me the once-over. "You certainly don't have the shape of a soldier."

I grinned. "Maybe. But if there is any time to get into shape, I guess it is now."

Zero nodded and chuckled. "Very well. You'll have to talk to GG or Wertigon. GG leads the civil defenses, Wert deals with security and mutations." He smirked. "Maybe they can make a soldier out of you."

Not what I wanted, but hell, it works. And hey, if I'm going to stay here... "Thank you, Governor."

He stood and extended his hand. I stood and shook it. "Welcome to Neo Brooklyn, Wesley. As long as you follow the laws, you should be just fine. You may leave."

Yeah. Like I wanted to break any at this time. Especially with him around.

But at least I have a home. For now.

---

ClothHat held his chin in his hand as he looked at Zam. "Not a Child, hm? That's good."

Zam nodded. "Yes. Zero wanted me to tell you about him."

"Could be useful if I need experience with Pre-Sun Tech." ClothHat tapped his nose and frowned.

"He does seem to know a bit about the Glass Plains, or what used to be there. Maybe he could find something useful. Not much however. But..." Zam frowned.

"But what?"

"I felt something in there. Something... I don't know how to describe it. But... I wonder..."

ClothHat scowled a bit. " I don't have the time for wonders."

"Sorry."

ClothHat nodded. "You can go. I don't really have any jobs for you right now. I'll call you when I do."

Zam nodded and opened the door, turning before he stepped out. "ClothHat, you have a visitor."

When Zam left, PC entered, carrying a large bag. "Hello, Cloth."

ClothHat raised an eyebrow. "Ah, hello PC. What's in the bag?"

PC pushed the bag to the side, spilling out various mutant parts. "Just bounties."

"PC, you idiot. You know I don't handle bounties."

"I know that. I've just come in for my report and pay."

"Alright. So talk."

PC frowned. "A little birdie in DC told me that the Children are starting to seem agitated about something. Something has set them off. I have no idea what though. As far as movements of known children near Neo Brooklyn, they haven't done anything yet, but they have been trading quite a bit over the black market. Mainly weapons."

ClothHat frowned. "Could be big."

"Could be."

"Well, as far as I'm concerned, they're not welcome here. As long as they don't come in... but... it might be worth a preemptive strike. Very well. I'll send Jamie to warn Zero. Tomorrow. Right now I need some music and some food."

"After you pay me."

ClothHat sighed. "Yes, yes. But lunch first, alright? I don't pay well if I'm hungry."

ClothHat stood and stretched a bit before he left the room, PC following close behind, grumbling about not being paid promptly.

Chapter 8: Meetings

---

Five people sat in the Governor's office: the Governor himself, Weiila, GG, Nessa and Wertigon. All was silent as the Governor read the paper in his hand.

Finally he put it down. "Am I supposed to believe this?"

Weiila shrugged. "Trillian believes him, and so does Perc. Perc questioned Wesley himself."

The Governor pinched the bridge of his now. "Weiila, I know I would trust Trillian's knowledge, but tell me how I'm supposed to believe this man came from 200 years in the past? Is that even possible with magic?"

"Could be," Nessa piped up, "But we certainly don't know how."

GG nodded. "But it would explain a lot, from what Weiila told us."

The Governor turned to Nessa. "You're sure he's not a Child?"

"Very sure. He doesn't seem to carry himself as one."

"But a spy wouldn't do so."

"True. But it's like... I can tell. Any Maester could identify other Children."

The Governor nodded. "I'll want to interrogate him myself, probably. Jamie's also contacted me, he thinks he found someone skilled in mind magic. Weiila, I want you with me. Wert, take Nessa and GG to finish the cleanup in Times Square."

Wert nodded. "Sure. But I need to deal with the defense arrays first. Could it wait?"

The Governor nodded. "It'll have to then. Get Sampo too. The last thing we need is that thing fucked up. Dismissed."

Each one of the four stood to leave. The Governor sat back in his chair, and sighed as he read the paper again.

---

I sighed as Weiila led me down the corridor. "Are you serious? The Governor wanted to speak with me?"

Weiila nodded a bit. "Yes. He's.... interested in your story and wanted to hear it firsthand."

Oh yay. More talk. Any more and my throat would die. Trillian and Perc had me talking through the night. "He thinks I'm crazy, doesn't he?"

She paused for a second. "You... could say that."

Whatever. We arrived at a rather impressive door, on which Weiila knocked. The door opened, and she pulled me inside.

The room was pretty dark, but still light enough that I could see two men at the far end of the room, one behind a desk, and another beside it. The man behind the desk stood up as we approached, and extended his hand. I shook him, looking over him somewhat.

My first impression was that this was a man you didn't want to mess with. Not only did he ooze authority, but seemed like a badass who had been in several fights. His short crew cut suggested he was a soldier previously. He wouldn't look out of place in a drill instructor's uniform, but in the suit he wore, he had the impression of a general. "Take a seat."

I sad down. Weiila sat next to me. "I am Zero, Governor of New Brooklyn. Most call me Governor though. And this man here," He motioned to the man next to the desk, "Is Zam, a mind mage in ClothHat's employ."

That's one hell of a name. "Mind mage?"

Zero nodded. "Let's just say I would like to verify your story..."

I frowned. "I'd rather not have anyone rifling through my mind."

Zam just chuckled. "I won't have to go to such extremes. Just to detect if you're lying or not."

"Fair enough." Shrewd of Zero. Somewhat insulting, but I suppose you didn't get to lead without some sort of distrust. I just wish I knew why.

"Alright. Let's start. What is your name?"

"Wesley Lee Collins. I don't have a serial number, or remember my Social Security number."

Zero frowned. I sighed a bit. "Sorry. A joke."

"I see. Where did you live before the Second Sun?"

"As of October 2003, I lived in Monroe, Michigan. The city that Trillian said the monster destroyed before it became the Second Sun."

Zero raised an eyebrow. "I see. Tell me how you got here." He seemed to pay attention to this.

"I don't know. I went to bed after an exceptionally bad day at work. When I woke up, Weiila was examining me like a doctor."

Weiila chuckled. "I am a doctor. Well a healer anyways. I specialize in healing magic."

Zero nodded to Weiila, and she fell silent. "Zam? Well?"

Zam shook his head. "His story seems to check out, Governor."

Zero frowned deeply. "I fail to understand. You say you are from before the Second Sun, and yet are not a ghoul. You have no idea how you got here?"

I nodded. "I'm just as clueless as you are."

Zero pursed his lips, thinking. "What did you work as?"

I sighed. "Menial work. Unloading trucks in a supermarket, sorting, pricing."

"No experience with Pre-Sun technology?"

"A little, but nothing beyond the normal person. I'm fairly decent with computers, but nothing beyond the end user." An interrogation to an interview? Weird.

He nodded. "But say, can't build or maintain?"

"Always wanted to learn. Maybe I could maintain computers a little, but I really don't know much."

"I see." He nodded. I could imagine it would be disappointing. But then... oh why not, it couldn't hurt.

"I am interested in learning how to fight though."

Zero raised an eyebrow. "Why so?"

I shrugged. "Well, sir, I will admit that I would not have joined the military before I came here. But that was pretty safe. It's pretty agreed upon that this is a pretty dangerous place. I really don't have any skills, so perhaps I could be useful."

Zero gave me the once-over. "You certainly don't have the shape of a soldier."

I grinned. "Maybe. But if there is any time to get into shape, I guess it is now."

Zero nodded and chuckled. "Very well. You'll have to talk to GG or Wertigon. GG leads the civil defenses, Wert deals with security and mutations." He smirked. "Maybe they can make a soldier out of you."

Not what I wanted, but hell, it works. And hey, if I'm going to stay here... "Thank you, Governor."

He stood and extended his hand. I stood and shook it. "Welcome to Neo Brooklyn, Wesley. As long as you follow the laws, you should be just fine. You may leave."

Yeah. Like I wanted to break any at this time. Especially with him around.

But at least I have a home. For now.

---

ClothHat held his chin in his hand as he looked at Zam. "Not a Child, hm? That's good."

Zam nodded. "Yes. Zero wanted me to tell you about him."

"Could be useful if I need experience with Pre-Sun Tech." ClothHat tapped his nose and frowned.

"He does seem to know a bit about the Glass Plains, or what used to be there. Maybe he could find something useful. Not much however. But..." Zam frowned.

"But what?"

"I felt something in there. Something... I don't know how to describe it. But... I wonder..."

ClothHat scowled a bit. " I don't have the time for wonders."

"Sorry."

ClothHat nodded. "You can go. I don't really have any jobs for you right now. I'll call you when I do."

Zam nodded and opened the door, turning before he stepped out. "ClothHat, you have a visitor."

When Zam left, PC entered, carrying a large bag. "Hello, Cloth."

ClothHat raised an eyebrow. "Ah, hello PC. What's in the bag?"

PC pushed the bag to the side, spilling out various mutant parts. "Just bounties."

"PC, you idiot. You know I don't handle bounties."

"I know that. I've just come in for my report and pay."

"Alright. So talk."

PC frowned. "A little birdie in DC told me that the Children are starting to seem agitated about something. Something has set them off. I have no idea what though. As far as movements of known children near Neo Brooklyn, they haven't done anything yet, but they have been trading quite a bit over the black market. Mainly weapons."

ClothHat frowned. "Could be big."

"Could be."

"Well, as far as I'm concerned, they're not welcome here. As long as they don't come in... but... it might be worth a preemptive strike. Very well. I'll send Jamie to warn Zero. Tomorrow. Right now I need some music and some food."

"After you pay me."

ClothHat sighed. "Yes, yes. But lunch first, alright? I don't pay well if I'm hungry."

ClothHat stood and stretched a bit before he left the room, PC following close behind, grumbling about not being paid promptly.

Chapter 9: A New Life

---

Location: The Governor's Fortress
Date: June 10, 194 A.S.

I slumped on my bed, exhausted. But I was definitely improving at least. Now I could hit Wert somewhat consistently.

It was one month since I talked to Zero, and as suggested, I talked to GG and Wertigon, who was quite happy to have more manpower.

Thus I learned how to use weapons. Wert trained me in melee weapons. Mainly the sword, some spear. There were a lot of swords in this post-apocalyptic time...

But I digress. GG went to train me in the common firearms of this time. I wasn't fighting, but eventually. Of course, this meant I had little time with myself. But hey, it would be worth it. I lost thirty pounds already.

Add to my filled schedule was my interest in learning magic. Nessa was usually busy, but Weiila was quite happy to teach me healing magic. It would be useful on the battlefield. So far I could cast minor healing spells consistently.

I wasn't, say, ready for action, but I was getting there.

Over the past month, Children attacks were becoming a bit more frequent. Governor Zero was warned beforehand about increased activity, at least. People were dying, but not as much as if it was a surprise.

So every few days, I'd end up having a day to myself, as GG and Wert went out to deal with the attacks. This is what gave me the free time to learn healing magic.

When I did have free time, I usually spent it with Weiila or Perc, whenever he came around. Perc, at least, was familiar about where I was from. I can't fairly say I don't miss the Pre-Sun times, to be honest. Maybe if I found a working GameCube or PS2...

Now that I wasn't a suspected Child, Weiila didn't have to be with me almost wherever I went. But we hung around anyways. One was the healing magic thing. The other was despite the fact that she seemed annoyed at the world, she was a nice person.

And attractive. And single. But let's not get into that.

Right now I was tired. Wert kept me going quite a while. I'll say one thing: he's a good guy, but no nonsense. When he pushed you, he PUSHED you. I could use some healing magic. Or a massage. But most importantly, sleep.

---

Location: Central Park
Date: July 18, 194 A.S.

Wertigon paced up and down the line of soldiers, including me. "Alright. Soon we'll be going into the tunnels. There is a nest of Spitters holed up in there, so we'll have to go into the tunnels to clean it out."

Each of the us nodded as he continued. "Some of you are new, so this is a good first mission. Spitters aren't very tough, and die pretty easily. You need to watch their acid spit though. I've seen it burn a grown man to mush in seconds. I advise you to be careful going into melee with them, because you might not have a weapon afterwards."

Silence reigned for a moment before GG started to speak. "You will each be divided into four teams. Alpha and Bravo will go into the nest, Delta will provide support fire and wipe out any mutants that leave, and Omega will take care of any strays or anything trying to stop us. Each team will have two mages to keep communications, and two healers for support. Don't let them get killed."

Wertigon nodded. "That's the basics of most extermination missions. Now, I will call your names and tell you what team you are in. Wertigon went through the list of names. I ended up on Alpha Team. Yay, into the tunnels we go.

Shortly, suited up in a fairly crude armor and carrying a pair of light arms and a spear, I was standing outside the tunnels with nine other men and women, including Wertigon. My growing skill with healing magic got me marked as one of the healers. It worked for me.

Wertigon gave the signal, and GG, leading Team Bravo went into a tunnel about a thousand feet away. I followed my team in.

the tunnels were quite large, befitting the Spitter's size. I could stand and fight melee with enough room for another person next to me, a third if really tight. The Spitter, according to Wert, mainly used it's acid for burrowing. It usually reserved it's stinger for prey or combat. Not to say it didn't spit in a fight though.

The first spitter stumbled upon us. Let me describe them: they looked like oversized beetles. Eight feet long, and about six feet tall and ten feet wide. This one was just innocently burrowing a new tunnel. I jammed my spear into it, but not before it released a sickening musk. The spitter was a hive insect, we'd have to eliminate the queen. The musk was apparently the way they alerted their fellows, because not thirty seconds later, quite a few more arrived.

Wert was right: these are VERY easy to kill, if you have a steady aim. A bullet to the head is all that's needed. I was in the middle of the group, so I held my weapon to the wall just in case. My fellow healer had her back turned to me, doing the same. The injured would make their way to the middle so we could heal them and they could get back into the action.

My partner yelped and I spun around. She thrust her spear into the spitter that had burrowed up to her, and called for Wert to lead us up ahead to get us away from the glaring weak point. We moved a bit and allowed the fighters to take the tunnel. I could hear Wert shouting orders over the din of the gunfire, along with the occasional crumble and burst of acid.

SPAAAAAZZZ! Just managed to twist to the side as a Spitter burst through the dirt near me and spat. Fortunately my partner wasn't in the way. Unfortunately, my left hand was.

I suppressed the VERY tempting urge to scream. Nothing did that to me. Nothing. I unloaded three bullets into the Spitter's carcass with my good hand and nudged my partner. Fortunately she wasn't busy, so the acid was stopped and my hand as good as new.

"Darla! Over here!" My partner made her way up to Wert. Apparently there was someone too injured to get back to us. So I had to deal with the others for a little bit. I was starting to get tired, a side effect of using my magic so often.

Fortunately, Darla quickly handled the patient, and we started moving forward again, with a LOT less Spitters coming. We met up with Bravo and started going farther in. The tunnels were getting larger now.

So that's where all the spitters went. We must have been getting closer to the queen, because the resistance was a lot worse here. Acid here and there, gunfire, shouts of pain and triumph. It was incredibly hard to focus. Once they were dead, several of our men rushed topside due to lack of ammo.

Another thirty feet moved, and I SWEAR we must have killed another hundred Spitters. How long has this nest been here? Just ahead though, the tunnel became a chamber.

I should tell you, while Spitters are pretty weak, Spitter Queens are not. The first of our men, including one of GG's healers, became goo as the queen unleashed a torrent of acid. I had to fight the urge to vomit. Man, that is not pretty. Fortunately, GG and Wert got out of the way.

We started firing at the queen, while the those not doing so guarded the rear and the walls. We did our best to stay out of the way of the queen's acid spit. I was lucky. Darla though, wasn't. Fortunately her wounds weren't fatal and I quickly administered my magic to her along with GG's remaining healer, a man named Rico. Once that was done, I started to unload on the queen.

GG and Wert had run out of ammo, but weren't about to leave. They started slashing at it with their swords, while the enraged queen flailed at them, trying to get a clear shot without hitting herself. It had almost forgotten us by now.

CLICK! CLICK! Oh nice. Now I'm out. I'm too tired for any more spells, and no ammo. Or... almost none.

"WERT! GG! GET DOWN!" They looked back and then jumped aside as the queen shot another blast at them. I grabbed my spear, pulled back, and THREW.

SPLORTCH! The spear flew into the body of the queen. I must have hit somewhere bad, because it started screaming. And LOUD. I had to cover my ears. As I backed away, I saw GG grab the spear and shove it even further into the queen's body. The queen doubled over, trying to take a swipe at GG.

Not wise at all.

I had to laugh as the queen's head rolled past my feet, due to Wert's blade. "Off with her head!" I shouted. I couldn't help it, and it drew some appreciative laughter from the others. After all of this, I could imagine, we all just wanted to go home.

Fortunately, with the queen dead, any sort of continued resistance was haphazard at best. We made good time back to the surface. Several dead Spitters and Spitter Drones were scattered along the ground. Nessa and her team didn't have much work to do at all.

A few congratulations on a job well done. Sadly, ClothHat had no bounties on Spitters, so there was no point in taking any souvenirs. People better suited to studying mutations could take over from here. So we piled into the vans.

"That was a good throw Wes." GG chuckled.

I laughed. "Hey, it wasn't good enough. You get the rest in." He laughed himself. "Good one too Wert. Just like Marie Antoinette."

Wert's eyebrow rose as he chuckled. "Who?"

"Never mind." Ah well. I could imagine he was preparing to tell the families of the deceased about their loss. We lost eight people total, including the five the queen had nailed. Depressing, but I prefer to stay on the lighter side, no disrespect intended. So I continued to joke a bit with GG before we arrived. We left the van and I waved to GG, telling him I'd see him at dinner. We've been hanging out a bit, actually. He's pretty cool.

Fortunately, I had no other pressing matters, so I made my way to my quarters. This was a long day, and I could use a nap. And that's what I did.

Chapter 10: Scenes in the Fortress (And One Out)

---

Location: Governor's Fortress
Date: August 12, 194 A.S.

I sat on a bench on top of the Fortress. It was getting late out, and I was hot, dirty, and sweaty. It was my day to take care of the "farm", as everyone called it, on top of the Fortress. It had to be a pain getting the dirt and water up here, but with the Children determined to starve out all but their followers, it was the best-defended area really. Other skyscrapers nearby had similar fixtures.

What could you do? But ah well. It worked. It may have been hard to work, but it would have beaten no food from open fields.

So I sat back, watching the sunset. Without the usual pollution, my view was quite clear. Even over the ruins, it was very beautiful.

I hadn't noticed her come up, but Weiila sat next to me. She turned to give me a hug, but I pushed her away, laughing. "Don't touch me. I'm dirty, sweaty, and stinky."

She wrinkled her nose and laughed. "You could use a bath, Wesley."

"That could come later. I wanna watch this."

"It is nice."

"Yeah. Before the Second Sun, you'd have so much crud in the air..."

She nodded. "I see your point."

"But then, I never lived here before, so I might be wrong. Still, it's very nice. So whatcha up here for."

"Looking for you. Nessa got some time free, so she said she'll teach you her magic." She frowned a bit.

"Don't really approve of it?"

"I prefer to heal, myself. Fighting isn't for me."

I shrugged. "It's alright. That's you. I'm me. I want to know how to best defend myself at least. And those I do care for."

She nodded. "I don't like fighting, but I can't stop others..."

"They have to stop themselves. But what can you do?" I sighed a bit.

"Not much." She nodded and settled back on the bench.

"So when does she want me?"

"Now."

I laughed. "Cutting it on short notice hm?"

"Yeah, but it can wait." She grinned and hugged me.

I nodded. "Sounds good to me."

---

Date: August 14, 194 A.S.

Wert sighed as he read the order from the Governor. ClothHat had asked for help clearing out the Tarox nest in the Public Library. Probably to woo Trillian, he thought to himself.

But it would be important if they could at least recover some of the stuff in the library. Maybe enough to start producing Pre-Sun tech a bit more quickly. Anything for an edge against the Children.

Orders were order though. But the Tarox would be tough. Snakeoid, highly venomous, resistant to most magic, and thought to be very intelligent. Fortunately their breeding cycle prevented them from overrunning New Brooklyn.

GG groaned as Wert told him the orders. "What magic were they susceptible to again?"

Nessa shook her head. "ClothHat better have some sonic magic on hand."

Wert nodded. "Oh yeah. Think he does, but the additional manpower would be good."

GG sighed. "All this because of a crush?"

Wert laughed. "Probably. But the Library is useful enough to Zero and Trillian that it should be recovered. About damn time too. We have to be careful about damaging anything inside though. It's no good to us if it's burned down. You know any sonic magic, Nessa?"

"A little. Not a lot though, I'm not sure it'd be any good."

"It'll have to do. Find any sonic mages you can. We leave tomorrow. Dismissed."

GG grumbled as they left. "I don't believe this. I. Do. Not. Believe. This."

Nessa shrugged. "Wert looked as annoyed as we are. Those things are supposed to be a pain. I swear that if I get killed I'm going to haunt ClothHat until he dies."

"Agreed Nessa. And we have to go tomorrow? Do you know any sonic mages?"

"Nope. Good time to find some though. I'll go ask around. See you at dinner GG?"

GG nodded and hugged Nessa. "Alright Nessa. See you tomorrow."

Nessa walked off as GG wandered down the corridor, grumbling to himself.

"You know, talking to yourself is never a good sign."

GG looked up and grinned. "Only if you answer back."

Wesley grinned a bit. "Nah. I do it all the time. And I'm not crazy."

GG smirked. "That's debatable."

"So what has you in a huff?"

"Tarox."

"I heard of them. What's up?"

"Snakes the size of metal horses, and really don't like invaders. I get to help clean out a nest tomorrow."

Wesley winced. "Snakes. It had to be snakes. Nasty. Mind if I tag along?"

GG shook his head. "Probably not a good idea. You've only been fighting two months or so."

"I did pretty well in the Dhroma nest last week."

"Until you lost your lunch after we got out."

"Point. But I'm not used to seeing something I'd expect in a hentai magazine."

"A what?"

"Never mind."

GG shook his head. "I'll ask Wert if he'll allow it. He has the final say, but I have to warn you, Tarox are a lot worse than Dhroma."

"Will they attempt to... molest me?"

GG laughed. "Point. But you know what I mean... Hmmm do you know any sonic magic?"

"Sonic? No, just healing. Nessa's just gotten around to teaching me. I couldn't light a match. Yet." Wesley frowned. "You might have a point, but I'll get around to asking him."

"No problem, Wes. Anyway, I better get going. I have some newbies to deal with before dinner. What are you going to be doing?"

"Healing lessons, and then I'm going to pester Nessa about the offensive magic."

"Alright man." GG nodded. "See you at dinner?"

"Nah, I'm meeting Weiila for dinner." Wesley chuckled.

"Smooth. Real smooth." GG laughed as Wesley flipped him off. "See ya Wes."

"See ya GG."

---

The Grand Maester tapped his nose idly. "So do we have any idea who the Dreamer is?"

The High Maester shook his head. "No idea Grand Maester. Our... hired agents have been scouring the area, but no one even seems to have the power that the Dreamer is supposed to have. We have been sending small parties out to test their defenses, as well as to draw him out of hiding, but..."

"I see... Anything good at that?"

"Our spies in the Governor's Fortress have reported that they are planning an attack on a Tarox nest within their boundaries. They'll be sending Dragonessa along too..."

The Grand Maester smiled. "We rescue the Second Sun's creatures as well as killing the traitor and hopefully drawing out the Dreamer? An excellent opportunity. We may even be able to bargain the traitor and the Tarox for the Dreamer. He's the bigger problem. He must not be allowed to challenge the Second Sun."

"Shall I send word for a concentrated attack then?"

"Yes, do so. They're hiding the Dreamer, I know it. We must get him. Send word ahead. I want as many as possible at the Public Library before they attack the Tarox. You may go."

"Understood, Grand Maester." The High Maester left as the Grand Maester turned back to the Book of the Sun, continuing his studies.

Chapter 11: Attack

Date: August 15, 194 A.S.
Location: Governor's Fortress

Zero paced up and down the line of soldiers. "Alright. Most of you are the best of the best. Elite forces. And that is why you're here today."

Each of the men and women nod, muttering to themselves. "Today, we're going to the Public Library to clean out the Tarox that have holed up in there. Fortunately we found enough sonic mages to deal with them."

Some of them nodded as he continued. "Sonics harm the Tarox, and tend to confuse them. So keep them alive. Keep your healers alive too. They can deal with the Tarox poison. Don't use Sampo's flash bangs until you need them, alright? And keep collateral damage to a minimum."

I nodded as I looked at the grenades on my bandolier. Crude, but effective.

"Alright. Cloth Hat, who's going to lead your men up front?"

"Ryuujin, Val, and Epic. Jamie will help with sonics."

Zero turned back to the rest of us. "We have GG, Wert and Nessa here. PC, you'll coordinate the snipers. I want you guys in positions surrounding the area. Weiila, you'll be providing battlefield support."

PC looked up. He wasn't exactly paying attention, but cleaning the rifle in his hands. Weiila nodded, but she looked thoroughly unhappy about this.

Wertigon picked up where Zero left off. "Alright, this is going to be a larger force than most of you are used to, but you'll be grateful for it. If we get them confused, they should be easy to take down. Try not to get into melee if you can help it. Tarox are too fast."

Zero nodded quickly. "Alright everyone, let's move out."

I looked at Weiila as we trooped into the van. "You don't look too happy about this."

She shuddered. "I HATE snakes. I don't even know why I'm here. The Governor knows I hate fighting."

I grinned. "If we're lucky we won't have to go in." Outside of a few healers, we weren't supposed to go inside unless necessary. I was among Weiila's team.

She smiled. "Maybe."

"Well I don't like snakes either. Hopefully they'll keep the big bad snakes away."

Weiila laughed and hugged me after we sat down. "It's unusual for the Governor himself to go. But I guess he misses the fight. He used to be a soldier himself before he gained power here."

I nodded. "That rush is hard to beat."

"Yeah, but with him around, I think we're probably better off. If he gets killed though..."

"Meh. I don't think it'll come to that. Guys like him are impossible to kill."

Zero, who sat in front of us, just turned and grinned, "Thank you."

"No matter how hard we try," Wertigon muttered under his breath. He sat next to Zero.

"I heard that!" Wert just laughed.

Wert, Weiila and Zero bantered among themselves. I added something now and then, but settled myself to look out the window.

---

Location: The New York Public Library

Weiila and our team was hunkered down near the entrance of the Library, dealing with those unlucky enough to get bitten. CH had come up, and so did Ryuujin and Wert. Fortunately they would be fine. I wondered about Ryuujin's proclivity for the bow, but once I found out that his enchanted arrows were particularly effective against the Tarox, I had no complaints.

Gunfire, screams, and hisses could be heard in the library. Fortunately there weren't many tunnels to search, according to Wert. Tarox weren't tunnelers. Those who got out were quickly taken down by Jamie's mages and shot to pieces by PC's snipers. Jamie was playing a song behind us, well away from the action. His songs seemed to help morale, so he was a help.

So far, things were going well. And it's just when you have the upper hand that everything goes to hell.

In this case, hell came from a report by our lookouts. "There are coaches speeding in from all directions!"

We heard this from Zero's liaison, when his group came up to heal. "What?" I could hear Zero as Weiila worked on his wounds and poisoning.

"Vans sir. With the Children's symbol on it. About thirty or forty!"

"Goddammit! Everyone break off! Children coming in! I want everyone out of the library and ready to fire!"

The library cleared out fast, trying to breaks away from the Tarox. Nessa shouted "Are there Maesters in there? Anyone in white robes with a brown double sun?"

"Yes!"

Nessa groaned. "SHIT! Shitshitshitshitshit! We better get away from the library!"

Zero nodded and was about to make the order when the first vans appeared. There was a white flag on the lead van. "Weapons at the ready, men. Let's see what's up..."

Doors slammed as the Children began to jump out of the vans, weapons at the ready. They didn't fire yet though. I had to wonder why. But soon I got my answer.

A man stood out of the sunroof with what seemed to be a bullhorn. "Hello. My name is Nico, and I'll make this quick. Give us the Dreamer or we attack."

Zero raised an eyebrow. "The who?" I shrugged when Weilla looked at me.

"We're not fooling around." The rest of the vans came to a stop, surrounding us. "Hand over the Dreamer or die."

Nessa growled. "The Dreamer? Like we have him around. Screw this. Zero, let's open fire."

Zero nodded as Nico continued. "You're not in a position to bargain, infidels. We don't want to kill you but we..."

BLAM! Nico took a bullet to the head from one of the snipers. With that, we opened fire.

Firing on the children, we started to take whatever cover we could. They did their best to return fire as they jumped out of their vans and took cover behind them.

"Get the Maesters first or.. oh SHIT." Nessa called out.

The first Tarox slithered out of the library. Before it could attack though, it's eyes flashed briefly. And then the Tarox practically stampeded out.

Weilla groaned. "The Maesters can control mutations, according to Nessa. This is bad. This is very bad." But a few of the Tarox broke away and charged the children. "So can Nessa. She was one..."

"Get the traitor!" I heard one of the Children shout as the Nessa's Tarox started their attack. As far as the rest, our mages were doing their best to take care of them.

I heard Wert cuss nearby. "We don't need this. All of you. Fire. Now. You too Weiila." Weiila nodded grimly as she held her pistol. It was very expertly, but then, she wasn't a fighter. But she did her best to fire at them. I joined her, crouching behind the bit of rubble covering us and doing my best to take down as many as I could.

It was bad. Tarox on one side, and Children covering the rest. We were taking them out, but their superior numbers wasn't much help. And the fact that we wasted quite a bit of ammo on the Tarox... It wasn't long before they would close in.

And close in they were. They nearly would have had ClothHat trapped if some excellent sniper work and a bit of luck on his part hadn't afforded him an escape route. He was now holding a position with Wert, Zero, Nessa and Val. Val was covering the rear, her sword slicing away at any Tarox that came too close. It was actually kind of beautiful to watch her.

But I couldn't. Not much. Epic, Ryuujin and GG were with us, Ryuujin covering our rear. Several Tarox were littered nearby, with arrows in their throats. He was doing his best to cover us, but he didn't have many arrows left. His quiver held a lot thankfully. Probably enchanted.

It wasn't very long before we started hearing the clicks that told us that we were out. The children took heart at this and started closing even more quickly now. We were forced to melee under fire.

Epic was the first out and he nearly was shot. He ducked in time, rolling forward and quickly removing the head of the first Child he got to. Ryujinn had switched to his sword and started to engage the Traox, under cover from the mages. GG quickly joined Ryuujin, several men with spears following them.

Weiila and I remained behind cover. Weiila had her whip (and yes, I did make several jokes about it) and used it much more expertly than her pistol, disarming any Children who got close, who then quickly found themselves victims to my spear. Not far away I could see Zero and Wert, both with what could be termed as great swords. They fought as a team, very effectively. They were being overrun though. Behind them, Val was being treated for a Tarox bite. ClothHat took her place at a distance, throwing knives at the Tarox, and stabbing anything that got close. He was quite good with them, but I was getting worried. Fortunately Val was back up and helping him as best she could.

Suddenly, a fireball came screaming from one of the vans, heading right toward us. Weiila and I dived aside quickly, but not quickly enough to escape the force of the blast. I got up, shaking my head. "You alright Weiila?"

Weiila nodded, getting to her feet. "Yeah. That wasn't fun."

"None of this is... oh shit." My spear was broken from the fall. This wasn't getting any better.

Weiila winced as we both dove for cover. "So what the hell am I going to do?"

She shook her head. "I don't know..."

I groaned, looking around for a weapon. Hmmm these would do nicely. "Weiila, do you have some rope?"

"Sure... but why?" She looked at me blankly as she drew a length of rope from her pack.

I reached down and carefully scooped up several broken Tarox fangs. With Weiila's rope, I tied them as securely as I could to the back of my gloves. "I'm going to get up close and personal. You stay back, alright?"

She nodded. "Be careful, alright?"

"I'll try." With that, I nodded and leapt to join Epic and his men.

---

The Maester cursed as he swung his staff into one of the infidel's heads. "Why won't you die?" he muttered angrily as he followed up with a second strike. As the man buckled, he threw a lightning bolt into him. The man fell and stayed down.

Combat, along with spell casting and the concentration required to control the Tarox combined was making him feel irritable, as his mental abilities were being stretched.

"Maester, you need to get back!" An Initiate nearby called out as a swordsman took a swing at him. The Initiate barely twisted away. The Maester nodded and started to back away, using his staff to hold off the unbelievers. They were winning so far, but it was getting difficult.

Then the Maester heard a shout behind him. Another man was charging him, with what seemed to be claws made from Tarox fangs strapped to his gloves. He held his staff ready to stop him, when suddenly a thought occurred to him.

And he approaches with claws of bane, which sickens those who love me. And thus the Dreamer first struck.

The Maester looked at the man like a deer in headlights when he made the mental leap. "It's him! It's him! He's coming! GET HIM!" He backed away as quickly as possible, muttering what would be the most powerful lightning bolt he had ever cast as the Dreamer leapt at him.

---

Now this was cool. The claws just felt so right against the back of my hands. I just hoped they wouldn't be pulled out on the first hit.

I charged the Children, heading for a white-robed man with a staff. He was backing away quickly, almost panicking. He just freaked when he first saw me. Weird, but hey, I wasn't complaining.

"It's him! It's him! He's coming! GET HIM!" Several others seemed to take notice. Oh crap. This wasn't good.

But no matter. I leapt for him, drawing the fangs back so I could jam them into his body.

The only problem was that he could cast spells. POWERFUL spells. As evidenced by the lightning bolt that shot from his outstretched hand, straight into my best.

That hurt. A lot. I flew back several feet, landing on my stomach. I shook my head to clear it, but quickly Children surrounded me with spears. Oh man this was not good.

"WESLEY! SOMEONE HELP HIM!" I heard Weiila scream. I could see GG running toward me through the legs of the children. But it wasn't in time to stop the spears from being jammed into my back, several times. I could feel the metal heads enter my body. If the lightning bolt hurt, this hurt even more.

I could feel my vision dimming. They must have hit somewhere vital... I wasn't noticing anymore. GG came in and stabbed his sword into the first Child he got to, trying to make a way for Weiila, who was following him, so she could save me.

I don't think she could though. My vision was blacking out...

Then she buckled, and blood appeared in her shoulder. Somebody had shot her. She screamed and fell back as Ryuujin and one of her healers quickly rushed to her aid.

Now I was getting pissed. No one shot my friends and lived to tell about it. For some reason now, my vision cleared, and all I saw was red.

---

GG cursed as he hacked his way through the spearmen around Wesley. That was fucking stupid of him, he cursed to himself, VERY fucking stupid.

Now their best healer was shot, but at least she was being tended to. GG ducked away from one spear and thrust his sword into the offending Child's abdomen, slashing it out. Now the Child was almost in half. Some of his men joined him, taking on the spearmen.

They made their way quickly to Wesley, doing their best to make short work of the spearmen. But when GG saw Wesley...

Wesley was getting up, breathing very heavily, which was strange, considering that GG saw him being speared. But the look of anger on his face was unmistakable. GG had to back away a step in surprise.

He then backed away another few steps as Wesley thrust his hands out and spread them wide. The Children simply scattered, as if they were bowling pins. "What the hell?"

Wesley quickly turned toward the Maester who had hit him with the lightning bolt. The Maester paled and nearly wet himself as he threw another lightning bolt at him.

"WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE?!?!?!" Now it was GG's turn to nearly wet himself. Wesley simply reached out and CAUGHT the lightning bolt, throwing it back as fast as the Maester cast it. The Maester was struck by his own bolt and went flying back into one of their coaches. Then Wesley turned to the Child who had shot Weiila.

Zero stared as one of the Children simply flew past him, flying into one of the walls and leaving an imprint in the concrete. He could only continue to stare as Nessa pointed past him. "Governor! Look!" She seemed to be staring past him in disbelief.

Wesley had his fist thrust out, about fifty feet away. And then he suddenly opened his fist.

The Child simply exploded in a shower of blood and gore. Nessa could only goggle in disbelief. "I did NOT teach him how to do that. Can ANYBODY do THAT?!?"

Now the Children had noticed, and were starting to panic. They quickly turned to Wesley, charging him among shouts of "It's him!" and "It's the Dreamer! Get him!" Tarox and Child simply converged on him.

And suddenly the ground just opened up. Zero had to dash aside so he wouldn't fall in. ClothHat quickly grabbed Val, who had almost fell in herself. The children were not so lucky, many of their coaches falling in with them. When the smoke cleared, Zero could see Wesley's fist against the ground, the cracks radiating from it as the earth shook.

Through this, the Children kept firing and throwing spells at him, but he never seemed to notice.

Finally, as the cracks closed among the screams of the unlucky that fell in, Wesley stood and spread out his hands, bringing them down forcefully. Something seemed to radiate from him... something, which sent the Children scattering like paper in a whirlwind. Bodies flew around as Zero, Nessa... pretty much everyone else dove to the ground. The could feel the wind of the Children as they flew past, their screams of terror as they flew into buildings, the road, anything that would stop their travel. Most fell silent on impact.

Finally though, very few of the Children remained, and Zero looked up to see those who escaped Wesley's attacks run into the vans, revving the motor as they tried to get away as quickly as they could.

Wesley would not let them though, and just before they got out of his line of sight, each of the vans simply exploded. Zero could only stare in disbelief as Wesley finally turned to face them.

Wesley simply lowered his arms, sighed... and collapsed.

Zero could only stare on as he heard ClothHat curse beside him. "Zero, tell me what just happened?"

He looked at ClothHat. "That's what I'd like to know Cloth. That's what I'd like to know..."

Chapter 12: Liabilities

---

Location: The Capitol Building in Neo D.C., now the Grand Temple of the Sun
Date: August 15, 194 A.S.

"Shalcar! Shalcar!"

The man burst through the doors, clearly in a panic. The man in front of the book whipped around, looking angry.

"You are not of sufficient standing to refer to me by my true name."

"I meant no disrespect, Grand Maester," The man bowed low and stammered, 'B-b-but I have news of the attack today..."

The Grand Maester sighed. "Then tell me, noble Maester. I have my studies to tend to."

The Maester stood, shaking. "I-I was watching from afar, as you instructed. At first the battle went well. They denied harboring the Dreamer, and we attacked. Our numbers and the Sun's glory was with us, until..."

Shalcar could see where this was going. "Until what?"

"One man... he tried to attack one of our Maesters with Tarox-fang claws. The Maester used a lightning bolt on him, and our men nearly killed him. But then..."

"By the Sun, no..."

"Yes. Some woman was shot, and then he arose... it was... by the Sun... it was horrible. He killed everyone. Tarox, our fellows... only his allies lived."

"You mean to say that... the Dreamer has awoken?" Shalcar paled visibly. "This can't be..." The Grand Maester sat down roughly, holding his head in his hands. "This is not good..."

The Maester nodded. "What... what should we do?"

Shalcar shook his head. "Now that he knows we will hunt him down, he will be wary. We have to find a way. There MUST be a way. We cannot let his challenge come to pass!"

"Yes, Grand Maester. But..."

"I don't know. We'll find a way, somehow. We'll find a way..."

---

Location: The Governor's Office
Date: August 16, 194 A.S.

"Nessa, care to tell me why the Children panicked when they saw Wesley? At that, tell us what the hell happened?" Zero frowned as he drummed his fingers into the table. The wounds of the survivors had been tended to. Only Wesley remained in the infirmary.

Nessa sighed and looked up. "By the Sun... Oh sorry." She quickly added as Zero glowered at her. "I never thought this would happen. But... I'm very sure they believe he's the dreamer. I'm hard pressed not to believe it myself."

Zero raised an eyebrow. The usual council was here, ClothHat, Ryuujin, Epic, Val, Jamie and PC, save Weiila, who was tending to Wesley.

ClothHat frowned. "What is this 'Dreamer'?"

Nessa thought a moment. "Kind of like the Satan to the Second Sun. At some point, a Dreamer is supposed to come to the Second Sun and challenge it for dominance. The Book of the Sun never gave details on who would win, but it was obvious that the Second Sun wanted the Children to aid it."

Wertigon nodded. "Did it give a description of him?"

Nessa nodded. "A little. But you need to understand, that certain parts of the Book were reserved for Maesters, High Maesters, and the Grand Maester respectively. There were some parts that I was not privy to."

Val leaned forward in her seat, playing with her hair a bit. "So what was the description?"

"Just a prophecy and how he would first appear."

"So give."

"Where my creations gather in the Square of Time, and the moon shines high on the blood-red sky, My Adversary would come silently to the earth. And this Adversary, this Dreamer, was taken into the kindness of the greatest of those who do not believe, in the greatest city of those who do not believe. And in there, he awoke, and would challenge Me." She blushed a bit, "That's from memory."

Zero nodded. "Could be a useful one. Now how would he first appear?"

"Where those who love me struggle against those who hate me, my Adversary would come. And he approaches with claws of bane, which sickens those who love me. And thus the Dreamer first struck."

"Deep. This was prophecy?"

Nessa nodded. "Yes. The Grand Maesters believed they received visions from the Second Sun.

GG laughed a bit. "I find it hard to believe Wesley would be someone they're afraid of. I mean, he could also just be exceptionally potent mage. Remember the reports from Angel City when they were dealing with the zombies from Seattle? One of their mages had his sister killed in battle. If I recall he wiped out a hundred zombies in three minutes."

"Try getting the Children to believe that. Wesley wiped out a hundred in thirty seconds."

Zero frowned. "Well at this rate, Wesley has become a liability. They'll do anything to kill him, correct?"

"Anything."

Val shook her head. "So we get rid of him."

Nessa frowned. "An idea, but one we can't take. They'll go after us for harboring him."

ClothHat nodded. "But as long as we have him, we might as well make use of him. He could be our trump card against the Children."

Zero nodded. "Alright. Nessa, you're in charge of training him if he can't figure out how to do this again. It was probably his anger manifesting, but if it's any sign, he just might end this war. Got it. Wert, GG, I want you to train him as well. If they're going to kill him and take us down with him, he's going to earn his keep. Dismissed."

"Yessir." GG, Wert and Nessa left.

ClothHat frowned. "Well this has gotten a lot more complex."

"Any news from your contacts, Cloth?"

"None, Z. Children activity has gotten pretty silent. I think that was a serious attack."

Zero nodded. "Alright. May as well go then."

ClothHat nodded and led his troop away.

---

Ow. Ow ow ow ow ow. I was in PAIN. My body, my head, everywhere was just a world of pain.

I didn't want to open my eyes. They hurt too. This is not what I'd imagine death being like.

But I opened them anyway.

"Was wondering when you'd wake up."

Weiila's voice. A bit comforting, so I turned my head slowly and looked at her. She was sitting in a chair beside me, looking pale. "Are we dead?"

She smiled. "Thanks to you, no. We lost half of our men yesterday though..."

"Yesterday?"

She nodded and stood up to check my vitals. "Yeah. You've been out for a day now."

Something else struck me. "How did I save you all?"

She looked up at me, surprised. "You don't remember?"

"The last thing I remember is GG coming for me and you getting shot."

She nodded. "That got taken care of, but God... you scared us all. You really don't remember?"

"What am I supposed to remember."

Well, she told me. In detail. When she finished a few minutes later, I just stared at her.

"I don't know how to do any of that. Nessa never even had a chance to teach me any of that!"

"That's because she never knew how to do anything like that. You could probably teach her, but it's understandable. Exceptionally powerful mages can be quite dangerous when angry. You were VERY angry, Wesley. The memory loss is a side effect too, I believe. But in any case, you saved us all. Thanks."

"Uh.. you're welcome. What about the library?"

"Well your earthquake did a number on it, but it looks like most of it can be salvaged. It's still standing, but Trillian's rather upset. She wanted to move in I suppose." Weiila laughed. "You should have seen ClothHat after Trillian showed her appreciation.

I rose an eyebrow. "I'm afraid to ask."

"No, it was just a kiss. But ClothHat nearly fainted. It was pretty funny. We all needed a laugh after that. But CH's men are checking to make sure it's safe. If Trillian can live there, well..." She laughed again. "She was upset about the earthquake, but she understood."

"All's well I guess then." I hazarded a painful grin.

Weiila shook her head. "Zero and ClothHat are having a meeting about you. You freaked everyone out, including the Children. I think the war just may get worse. But we'll have to find out what they're thought up. Nessa looked spooked as well."

"Oh nice...." I didn't like the sound of that.

She shrugged. "We'll find out soon enough. Right now you need something to eat. Let's go get breakfast."

"Hell no."

She looked affronted. "Why??"

I smiled a bit at her. "Sorry Weiila, I'm not getting up. I'm in a world of pain, and there is no way in hell that I would get up. The Second Sun couldn't make me. But if you could be a dear and bring breakfast up...?"

She chuckled and nodded. "Sure." She left, and returned with my breakfast, GG and Nessa ten minutes later.

"What's up?"

GG grinned. "First of all, thanks for saving our lives. If you hadn't gotten angry, we'd all be dead."

Nessa nodded. "The Governor has asked us to train you once you get out of bed. We think that the Children will be after you, and well..."

"What?!?!" This was NOT good.

Weiila stared at Nessa, who continued. "It's a long story, and I'll fill you both in when you've eaten. But let's just say that with some training, if the episode yesterday was any indication, you could be very powerful, and well... you could give us the help we need to wipe them out."

Oh great. Now I'm going to be a weapon. But what choice did I have? "Uhmmmm ok. When is this going to start?"

"As soon as you're better." Now I really wished for the pain. I wanted to be in bed quite a while now.

"I understand."

Weiila nodded, placing my breakfast tray on the bed. She, GG, and Nessa sat down themselves, readying to eat. "Better make this quick then. I want to know what's up," Weiila sighed. I agreed with her. What was going on?

Chapter 13: The Weapon

---

Date: September 4, 194 A.S.
Location: Governor's Fortress

To put it simply, the story Nessa gave me after that breakfast was nothing short of unbelievable. Me, challenge the thing that destroyed the world? Yeah, right. I laughed. I just laughed.

The reality of the story was very real though: the Children would be after me. The would not stop until I was dead. Simple as that. I had to be careful.

The next day, when I got out of bed, Zero put it bluntly: I was going to be a weapon against their children. If I could perform like that again, the Children would not have a chance. I have to admire his honesty. I also knew that my worth was based on my ability to fight the Children, and how much they feared me.

Thus my training regimen was set. Six days a week (at least I managed to get a day for myself) I would be trained in the arts of combat and magic. GG and Wert started to help me learn how to use my new claws effectively, and Weiila and Nessa trained me in magic. A regimen this intense started to pay of. I learned quickly, and while I wasn't the equal of any of the four, I could certainly hold my own.

I did get my claws modified though. While effective, they were crude at best. Fortunately, Sampo was pretty happy to help me modify them. The day I got my new claws back...

Think of this: A pair of Tarox fangs firmly attached to a flexible metal glove. A thick crossbar set a few inches past my knuckles (the fangs extended about a foot from my hands) would help block any sort of weapon that had to be swung. But most interesting was the small gun positioned between the claws. Really only a gun barrel, it could fire repeatedly up to three shots, and was activated by a button near my thumb. It would help get that extra punch (no pun intended) in my strikes or give me a distance attack.

It was a masterwork of weaponry. Sampo was pretty proud of the way it worked. The entire set weighed about two pounds.

Not that I USED them much. I have tested them out, but Zero had mandated that I not see combat, especially with the Children. They were gunning for me, and well... it was not a good idea to present myself a target. Occasionally I was allowed to participate in mutant-extermination attacks, mainly to test my skill.

Outside of one thing. I was allowed to leave the Fortress, under guard. And considering that everyone found out who I was supposed to be... well, it's not like they needed to convince people to guard me. So when I did go out, I was armed and ready, and had like twenty soldiers for backup. It got annoying. But it was only a few weeks. I might get used to it. I figure Jamie spread the word.

So at least I got around. I was usually with Weiila, and Perc after he came back from wherever he went to (He had left to some secluded spot a couple weeks before the attack. Zero wasn't happy about it.)

I did take the time to learn about the people around here. Before Perc returned, I didn't get out much, but Perc insisted that if I was going to be a defender of New Brooklyn, I had to learn about new Brooklyn.

Looking around, it was actually rather surprising. I imagined a post-apocalyptic world to be more... well miserable. It wasn't like the world I knew, but still.

Ultimately, it reinforced my belief that humans were essentially intelligent, oversized cockroaches. No disrespect, but with the adaptability that intelligence offered, humans simply made the best of things. I didn't see a lot of cars, but I did see a lot of bicycles. Most of the fuel was reserved for powering the Fortress, and for emergencies, since it had to be either magically manufactured, or refined in a rather painstaking process. The ecology extremists would have loved the pretty much lack of fuel consumption, even if they would have been disappointed that humans survived.

But no matter. People survived, and made their way with life. The last thing that surprised me was what seemed to be the proliferation of Pre-Sun technology. But what could I expect? It's been two hundred years. While it wasn't extremely common, and I didn't see people using computers and stuff, it was in decent use. Bicycles, skates, clocks, and so on. Anything that didn't use (a lot) of power that helped.

The Fortress though, was the center of New Brooklyn life. There was enough room in the Fortress that everyone could hole up safely in case of attack. Food was grown on top of the buildings of the Fortress, along with several other buildings. Now there was talk of using (the now mutant-free)Central Park as a farm, though some wanted to keep it a park and some thought it wasn't defensible enough.

But in any case, life got rather interesting, and I was grateful for that day to myself, otherwise I would have gone insane. If Nessa, GG and Wert were hard teachers at first, now it was insane. At least Weiila wasn't as demanding. Maybe because I was a friend. I doubt it though. Maybe because healing wasn't as important anymore. I doubt that too. I finally decided to drop it. A little rest was good, after all.

All said and done, my life was fairly good. Despite the constant training and the fact that I had a cult hunting me down.

Life just can't get any better, can it?

------




Part 2


Glossary

Second Sun: Refers to the disaster that happened over Monroe, Michigan, which wiped out almost the entire population of earth and pretty much wrecked every ecosystem on the planet. There are some survivors, and while they have not had an EASY existence, they have somewhat thrived.

Pre-Sun: Before the coming of the Second Sun.

A.S: After Sun. Year Notation. 0 A.S. Corresponds to 2008 A.D.

Mutation: Refers to the creatures which started to appear approximately 20 A.S. Referred as mutations because most generally don't look or seem like any sort of creature before the Second Sun.

Dhroma: A reptilian or plant beast that seems to be one giant mouth surrounded by a mass of tentacles. Not very strong in combat, but fast and the tentacles have been known to paralyze. Only knows two things: Eating and mating. It's mating habits are... disgusting to say the least. Often lives in nests with numbers reaching over a hundred. It's usually advised to bring some sort of flame, as they seem to burn easily.

Firebomb: A grenade.

Metal Horse: A motorcycle. Operational ones are rare, especially with the fact that usable fuel must be refined in a painstaking process. The only one who really knows how to make fuel in decent amounts is Kai Sampo... In New Brooklyn anyway.

Salvager: Someone who specializes in salvaging, repairing, and building Pre-Sun Technology. Salvagers are a rare commodity.

New Brooklyn: A series of skyscrapers in the ruins of New York City, New Brooklyn is probably the largest human settlement on the eastern Seaboard, boasting a population of about fifty thousand. The most notable fact is that most of the usable farmland is on the rooftops of heavily guarded buildings.

Child: A follower of the Children of the Second Sun.

Flamer: A flamethrower.